Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tropical look vines for San Jose?

Posted by princesspea sunset14 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 13:35

My daughter made a little shade garden along our fence when we moved to our new house in december, trouble is, it is only shady in the winter!

I am looking to put a narrow overhead arbor made from a couple old ladders and run a deciduous or light textured vine across it to shade my girl's violets and lilies in the baking summer months.

Already we have on order a pink star magnolia for the larger semicircular bed that anchors the shade garden. She would like a "tropical looking" flowering vine, I would like a vine that won't eat my house. (I'm looking at you, wisteria and bouganvillia)

Thanks!
PP

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tropical look vines for San Jose?

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 21:01

Mandevilla laxa.

o

If you don't get frost, you could plant dalchampia (sp?) butterfly wings vine. I love mine.

o

These are both beautiful, I will show my girl and see what she thinks. I had forgotten the mandevilla laxa and never even seen the dalchampia!

thanks for the help.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 20:31

Dalechampia probably won't likely survive a Sunset zone 14 winter, it sometimes dies here in 16/17 conditions. Bignonia capreolata 'Tangerine Dream' is another one.

o

Good to know about the dalchampia. Luckily my girl discovered the mandevilla was fragrant, that sealed the deal for her- and i know I can grow those here.
Now to figure out my trellis !

o

There's always the purple trumpet vines and the Jasmine vines. Not hard to keep them from getting rampant. Maybe some Passiflora?

Don't go near Honeysuckle,Wisteria,Bougy,Parthenocissus. Algerian Ivy,any Ivy, Red trumpet vine,Giant Morning Glory,Tecomaria.

Don't even take a cutting for free!

o

Thanks for the list of bullies to watch out for! I thought jasmine was on that list too, also passiflora, because of an old neighbor's vines that came over my garage roof. I like those vines too.
I grew up in the northwest, where ivy and wisteria are total thugs- the wisteria can shift a house off its foundation and ivy kills entire forests! So even here they are thugs- good to know. How about clematis Montana? I have seen extreme examples here but can't tell if they are neglected and our of control, or simply uncontrollable.
P.P.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here