Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Free of Bulk Wood Chips

Posted by benthumbs 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 3, 10 at 13:51

With proper spelling this time. Does anyone know if there is a place in LA to get bulk wood chips or bark for landscaping? Rather than purchasing the bags at a home center. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Free of Bulk Wood Chips

Tree trimmers are trying to get rid of their loads all the time- otherwise they have to pay dump fees. I'd call up one of your local tree trimmers and ask if they'll be in your neighborhood any time soon. But I'd question them very closely about any diseased trees - I'd hate to see them spread blister bark beetle or anything like that to you. Also ask them if they have any eucalyptus in their load because my understanding is that eucalyptus is alleopathic (kills seedlings), but I see there is conflicting info on the web.

o

Last summer I got a dump truck load of equcalyptus trimmings. It has been wonderful in yard as mulch, in pathways, in compost pile, and water conservation mulch in neglected side yard. I have nothing but good things to say about eucalyptus. In addition, I have silver dollar eucs in part of my yard ... everything that I want to grow under those trees grows.

I second the advice about making sure that the tree trimmer doesn't give you diseased material.

o

I'd echo Renataka - I've seen signs on the Green Leaf (Valley based - near Costco on Sepulveda if you're in the area) trucks saying "free wood chips." I haven't tried it myself though.

o

Provided to you by City of LA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Free

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here