Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
neem oil and bees

Posted by laila_2009 17 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 14:00

Hello,

To control the leaf and flower eaters, I want to spray the phlox, and lantana with neem oil. Some of you may remember I created my own mix of neem oil, an hot sauce, which worked, but once I put on too much undiluted hot sauce, and killed much of one phlox plant. My life is too busy to create my own. So I bought neem oil. However the label says it is bad for bees, and not to put it on while bees are active. So when do I spray it on? How long does it take to be unharmful to bees?

I did get my Acer Palmatum ozikazuki which seems beautiful so far after 5 days in the ground, and my strawberry tree is doing so much better than last year, since I have not watered it, and the canopy is getting taller, to compete with the oaks near by.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: neem oil and bees

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 16:56

Bees usually leave for the day about an hour before the sun goes down, so spray then. If you can remove most of the flowers also, they won't have any attractant and will stay away for a few days.

o
RE: neem oil and bees

I guess i've been very lucky,because in all the years i've been gardening i have NEVER had any problems with anything bothering my lantanas.They have always been one of those plants that needed nothing but Water.Phlox,now that's another story!!
Kathi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here