Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best tangerine/mandarin tree for central valley

Posted by bbblueyes 9a (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 14:03

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out which variety to plant. I'm looking for a sweet and tart tangerine like the one I have now. I have no idea what kind it is. It ripens around Thanksgiving to Christmas time and is wonderfully sweet and tart. Does anyone have any suggestions about a variety like that? I don't want a sweet one like the ones you can get in the grocery stores and all the descriptions I see on the web so far all list the varieties as plain sweet. I don't want a lot of seeds either. I live in the Central Valley so if you know one that's good for this area let me know.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best tangerine/mandarin tree for central valley

No one in the valley has responded so I will tell you what I have and why. In December 1990 we had four days with nights down to 12 degrees. My only citrus to survive without damage was my Owari Satsuma Mandarin Orange. It bears heavily every year with fruit with no seeds. I am unable to judge the relative sweetness between other varieties, but we like it, and our great grandchildren who we send bags of fruit when ripe, ask for more. Al

o

I will second that. We are in the inland East Bay (Walnut Creek) and only got down to 20 degrees during that same epic freeze, but Owari Satsuma didn't have a scratch. Now there is a good chance we won't see temps as cold as 1990s in our lifetime, but there will be cold snaps that are still bad, and this one is tough. The fruit is awesome and prolific.

o

Thanks for the replies. I may have found the answer on the Citrus forum. I didn't know there was a citrus forum - I'm a newbie. I think I may get a Gold Nugget mandarin. A few people said they're even more cold resistant than the Satsuma! Not that it gets that cold here in the Fresno/Madera area, but every once in awhile we do get a hard freeze. Thanks again for the input!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here