Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowering Cherry w Severe Shothole - Worth Keeping?

Posted by eli_in_the_weeds So Cal 9B (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 14:29

Hi folks! Over the winter I purchased a flowering cherry tree at a local nursery. Unfortunately discovered that it is severely infected with shothole fungus. I didn't know what shothole fungus was, at the time.
Aside from things like bring-it-back and rebuking the nursery for selling it, etc., does anybody have an opinion as to whether it's even worth keeping it? It is still in the pot I bought it in - haven't planted it yet.
I did mention it to the nursery staff; they are the ones who told me what those spots on the leaves are, and then told me how to dormant-spray it in winter. Also they acknowledged that there isn't much else that can be done about it; just dormant-spray in winter, that's all you can do.
Since I haven't yet planted it, and looking towards dormant-spraying, having to clean up every little leaf which falls, etc. My understanding is that shothole is basically everywhere in the "prunus" world... peaches, apricots, flowering plums, etc. Kind of like rats... you just have to deal with them?
Please let me know your thoughts, and whether I have this picture completely wrong (?).
Thanks all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowering Cherry w Severe Shothole - Worth Keeping?

Sure. Just spray appropriately during the dormant season as you would for PLC. Your anti-fungal product used for PLC will also control Shot Hole. I spray on the "holidays" - Thanksgiving, Christmas, (mid Jan), and Valentine's Day. That does it for me, for by SH and PLC. The tree will recover just fine, and the pest pressure will really depend more on your yard and the issues you have in your yard, not so much what happened to this tree at the nursery. And yes, always pick up an fallen leaves from all your stone fruits to reduce spore build up.

Patty S.

o
RE: Flowering Cherry w Severe Shothole - Worth Keeping?

Patty,
Thank you very much for your helpful response! I will start to look for a place for it in my yard. Hopefully it will do OK. As I recall, the flowers were gorgeous.
-Eli

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here