Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raymondo17

List of Recommended Fruit Trees for Zone 9

raymondo17
15 years ago

Anyone know where I can find a list of fruit trees that will thrive in Zone 9? Besides fruit type (for example, can apples be grown in Zone 9?), I'd like to find specific varieties as well. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-Ray

Comments (9)

• kerrican2001
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Besides those listed above (which are an awesome list BTW), there are also the following fruits you may be interested in, which we've grown with great success in Walnut Creek, CA (used to be designated Zone 14, but was changed to Zone 15, possibly due to being milder in winter than Sacto, so these may or may not be as dependable for you):

Citrus
    -Improved Meyer Lemon (bears year round)
    -Lisbon Lemon
    -Rangpur Lime
    -Navel Orange
    -Moro Blood Orange (prob our best citrus crop -- get a deep reddish blush and very sweet and fruity)
    -Owari Satsuma Mandarin (also super heavy bearer and very sweet)
    -Kumquat (all varieties)

Macadamia
    -"Beaumont" variety - maintenance and pest free, has simply shrugged off any winter cold since planting in 2000, reasonably fast grower, attractive, and we're getting a HUGE crop of nuts this year -- literally hundreds of them.

White Sapote
    -Not sure of variety anymore, but tree is attractive, slow growing, fruiting is not reliable due to timing of flowers (too windy or too hot minimizes bees)

Avocado
    -Mexicola / Mexicola Grande -- hands down the most reliable producer for inland NorCal from what we've seen. Friends have had a tree for over 20 years. Crops cycle heavy and light. Have had crates of fruit some years. Not a popular variety and hard to find, but great.

FRUITING SHRUBS

Pineapple guava (feijoa) - foolproof shrub, attractive, heavy bearer of fruit in October/November

Strawberry guava - surprisingly easy to grow, ours is about 6 feet tall and bushy, vigorous, heavy bearer of fall fruit, a no fuss plant.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    15 years ago

Your local county extension service probably has a localized list available. Al

• raymondo17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, Joe, your handle is well deserved! Garden Guru indeed! Thank you so much for taking the time to write up that list. Again, wow!

And Kerrican, thanks for your kind additions, Calistoga for your suggestion as well.

Best regards,

-Ray

• big-eyes
    15 years ago

does anybody have a list for zone 10? thanks

• gardenguru1950
    15 years ago

big-eyes:

Are you USDA Zone 10 or Sunset Western Garden Book Zone 10? BIG difference.

Joe

• ck36
    15 years ago

kerrican2001 - I live in Pleasant Hill and never have seen a macadamia nut tree around and I would love to try adding this tree to my garden. Could you tell me where you purchased the tree?

Great lists thanks!

• applenut_gw
    15 years ago

Raymondo:

Just about any apple will fruit in Zone 9 or 10 (ignore the chilling hour rating), but that doesn't mean it will be good. Northen Spy fruits just fine here, but is of terrible quality. Arkansas Black however, is outstanding. Macintosh and its offspring are usually poor, while Winesap and its offspring like Stayman, King David, and Blacktwig are very good. Do a Google search for warm climate apples.

Applenut

• Doolittle_Dr_com
    12 years ago

Anna Apple
    The Anna Apple Tree is a great tree for USDA zone 9b, (Sunset zone 19). In San Bernardino, California, our Anna ripens in late June through early July. The apples are medium-large with greenish-yellow skin with a slight red blush. The fruit is sweet just slightly tart, a crisp apple with a creamy white flesh. Our Simi-Dwarf tree produced fruit at an early age. I was told that a Pollinator was required and planted a Dorsett Golden, which died, (due to lack of care). Our Anna is a heavy producer, although I do not have a pollinator.
    Last year we even had a second small crop in the late fall.
    The Anna is also a attractive garden tree and seems to be drought tolerant.