Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a vine for corner of patio

Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 16, 11 at 15:02

We have a small patio with a lattice top and a post in each corner. One of the corners (faces southwest) has a large mature Bower Vine (Pandorea jasminoides). The post facing northwest has a Solanum jasminoides. The post facing southeast needs a vine -- but which one? Should it balance the size of the Bower Vine, or should it be a smaller size in similar color?

I'd like it to maintain continuity of color with the other vines on this patio and not have thorns. So - a Clematis? Another Solanum jasminoides?

Any ideas? This spot faces southeast with a sunny exposure most of the day. Soil is rich clay with some amendment.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a vine for corner of patio

You didn't say if you wanted a permanent vine or not, but I think Scarlet Runner Beans are marvelous--they have lovely flowers which attract hummers and delicious Romano type beans to eat too, plus the leaves do a great job of coverage.

Carla in Sac

o

Do you have a photo? I'm having trouble visualizing the spot.
Renee

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 20, 11 at 13:19

Sorry... I meant to post a photo. The post in question is the one on the far right. It faces southeast and gets sun most of the day; soil is amended clay. The post behind the Bower Vine (post is hidden from view) has a Solanum jasminoides growing on it now, so I'm thinking of repeating that with the bare post on the right. This area needs a little cleaning up... moving/removing pots etc. but this is the way it is today:

o

Sat, Aug 20, 11 at 13:28

Carla: I have read so many favorable comments about Scarlet Runner Beans that I bought a pack of seeds and really want to grow them somewhere. I think I'll try them next year in the side yard. For this patio post, I think I'd like a vine with white flowers to avoid adding more color where there's already a lot going on. :) Thanks for your suggestion though.

o

Scarlett Runners come in white.
:)

Carla in Sac

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.victoryseeds.com/bean_white-emergo.html

o

Jenn, it might be too aggressive, but what about a white Wisteria? Wisteria frutescens 'Clara Mack' isn't too aggressive, and does well in California.

Patty S.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 20, 11 at 19:46

How about another white flowering vine with fragrance? Mandevillea laxa or Trachelospermum jaminoides might be nice additions. If you decide to repeat what you already have growing, I'd suggest that another bower vine would give more unity to the view as seen from this photo angle. If you are seeking some drama, you might look into the fragrant and tropical looking Easter Lily Vine, Beaumontia grandiflora, a personal favorite of mine- but not for the faint hearted.

o

Also, what about Madagascar Jasmin (Stephanotis floribunda)? I know it can be a bit bare at times, but the fragrance, oh my!!

Patty S.

o

Sat, Aug 20, 11 at 20:22

I wish the Stephanotis was more viable here in my part of California, but doesn't much like our winter rains. It would also be an excellent choice for fragrance, but I've only been able to get this to bloom here behind glass of a cabana enclosed on two sides. Even then day time temps aren't really warm enough for the fragrance to really carry for any distance. A general lament for all summer fragrant vines here locally except for Jasminum polyanthum, almost too much of a good thing, but can also give you incredible bloom and fragrance in the dead of winter as well as lingering amounts in summer.,

o

Oh, it grows so well down here in San Diego county, bahia. It is stunning, and when it's nice and warm in the evenings, the fragrance is heavenly. I happen to love the smell of Jasminum polyanthum, and it's very popular down here. Another great vine is Night Blooming Jasmine, (Cestrum noturnum). I remember growing up in Fullerton, we had this vine/ground cover growing under and around our bedroom windows. I would leave my window open at night, and our whole house would smell so fantastic. I went to sleep many a night to the scent of Night-Blooming Jasmine during the warm summer nights. Just heavenly and I have such fond memories of this scent!

Patty S.

o

Sun, Aug 21, 11 at 0:28

Oh wow, thank you all for the nice suggestions!

Bahia, I wondered if unity should be my main consideration to balance the weight of the Bower Vine on the other side of the patio, but I thought perhaps a white vine might provide enough unity even if it's not as large -- what do you think?

o

Sun, Aug 21, 11 at 3:40

Personally, I don't think you need to add anything to this arbor, with more time the existing Bower vine could grow all the way across on its own. The Jasminum polyanthum is probably the alternate vine that would be most similar in mass, but it does require more grooming to look as neat. The winter blooming season would be a nice contrast to the Pandorea.

And warm summer nights, not a common occurrence up here so close to the bay. On the other hand, no need for air conditioning and plenty of things thrive in our cool summers, but lingering outside at night isn't something I do much of, much better to grab some rays in early afternoon for that perfect summer weather.,

o

I agree with Bahia. I love the way it looks now.
Renee

o

Mon, Aug 22, 11 at 0:08

Well alrighty then, that's 2 votes to keep it as it is, and I like anything that saves me time and money. :)

o

I was just going to say the same and see that others feel that way also...I like it as it is. You have a nice structure there and it should be allowed to show. The Bower Vine is quite large and adding another vine is going to pretty much totally cover the structure and you'd be looking at a 'big thing of vine'. If it were mine, I think I would actually thin out the Bower Vine some so that it 'enhances' the structure rather than covering it. If I were going to add another vine, I agree it should be a matching Bower Vine for continuity.

o

Mon, Aug 22, 11 at 9:44

Thank you, wcgypsy. I agree that the Bower Vine could use some thinning. What's nice about its size is the shade it provides in the afternoon when the sun beats on the patio from the west. We'd considered putting shades on the sides for sun protection, but the vine does a good job of it.

o

• Posted by wcgypsy 10 / Sunset 23 (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 22, 11 at 12:50

Yes, I have the same situation with a trellis over south facing French doors. I'd like the vine to cover the trellis entirely to provide the most shade....on the other hand, the trellis looks best with a 'tracery' of vine. Either way, the patio is quite nice.

o

Jasminum sambac? Doesn't get too big and wonderful fragrance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here