Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bay Area has 7th straight below average month for temperatures.

Posted by stanofh (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 6, 10 at 15:09

Why be the bearer of bad news-I need to vent! Just crazy monotonous days 73F~ every single day,fog breaks like clockwork to full sun at 10:30 am-set your clock to it too!
Not very bad as its sunny..not windy..and warm in the sun..but not summer like. The last warm spell was early June? I think Hayward must be getting close to a record of most summer days in a row without hitting 80f. If we didnt already.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bay Area has 7th straight below average month for temperature

Ditto down here in SoCal. We are 10 degr. below normal both at coast and inland. Setting 'low' temp records for July/August.

Here is a link that might be useful: Western Climate Summaries

o

Here in socal, abc7 in LA said this could be the coolest August on record if things continue.
I am enjoying the 80-95 instead of 100+. Almost everyday though its been breezy and thats not good cuz of drying out for fires.
Just recently one day (July I think) the beaches set a record for their lowest high at 69 degrees since weather records been tracked.
But I can understand it being cool at the beach...

o

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 6, 10 at 16:58

Yes, and I love it!

My DH hates it, but he doesn't get hot flashes, LOL. Wonderful to have fewer wildfires in the state, too. So much better for the air quality.

o

Save's water-I'm amazed at how much less water I'm using at 72f than 82f.

o

I suspect that some of my plants still think it's winter. My Xmas cactus is blooming, for one.

o

It's been the nicest summer I can remember. I have been transplanting in July!
Renee

o

While my tomatoes are suffering, my pole beans, cucumbers and zucchini are producing like crazy. I figured when life gives us lemons, we make lemonade, so I'm pulling up the disastrous sweet peppers and starting peas and broccoli. (Will probably induce a giant heat wave, heh).

I have to admit, I'm enjoying the savings on water as well. I'm only watering my veggies about once a week here in Sonoma County. And since my hobby is concrete garden art, these temps are just right.

o

its great for everyone except my habaneros.....no heat outside means no heat inside :(

o

yes, love this weather (especially hubby - he's from georgia!) but my poor tomatoes! i've yet to eat just one!!

well, at least this weather is making my broccoli, which i thought was done, produce like crazy (i think), and the one little romaine lettuce plant i left as an experiment, is going like gangbusters. oh, and so is my cabbage.

here it is 1:44pm and the sun has JUST come out!

well, if this continues, i'll probably start my winter seedlings!

angela

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here