Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
surfcityhb_gw

Suggestions for hot, south-facing pots?

surfcityhb
13 years ago

At a local home improvement joint and saw a Zephr lily container saying is was for "hot, arid" conditions and thought it might do well in one of my hot, south-facing pots I have around the pool where there's a lot of reflected heat.

Look it up when I get home and it appears it may need more water than the once a week I'm willing to give it (after it's established). I was thinking I'd replace a white Spanish lavender that's just sitting in one of these pots and not doing much. Should I give the Spanish lavender more time to do its thing? Should I return the Zephyr lily?

Also bought a Teucrium "Fairy Dust" (from a nursery) to replace a do-nothing Madonna bougainvillea that was another impulse buy from a different home improvement joint. (No more buys from home improvement places!) Anyone with experience with this Teucrium? I like the verticality of the plant and the flowers are a nice bonus.

Would appreciate suggestions for this grouping of pots. Not a palm or tropicals fan (another reason to get rid of the bougainvillea). Am a grasses/perennials/natives fan. Must be evergreen, or at least look good when it's not doing its thing. So far, good success with Winifred Gilman salvia, Moonbeam yarrow, pinwheel Aeonium, bowles mauve wallflower. Still searching for the right grass to work in this collection of pots. Thinking Lindheimers muhly which I've had success with in the ground.

Comment (1)