Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socks12345

Aphids on butterfly bush won't go away

socks
10 years ago

My son brought me a long-suffering butterfly bush so I could see if it could be saved. It had been planted in the shade and was not happy. I repotted it, and it has gotten much better, blooming nicely, but I cannot believe the aphids on it. They are yellow/goldish. I wash them off and next day they are right back. I'm used to this with roses, and eventually they are gone after springtime passes. But this is just a relentless attack on the poor bush. I have no idea where they come from (crawl up from the soil or what??). Is this normal? Any easy fixes?

Comments (5)

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    10 years ago

I have no problems with aphids on mine cuz of the praying mantis I have. I see at least a dozen around everywhere in my yard.
    Just the other day I saw a large female with a huge egg sac.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

How about ants, do you notice unusual ant activity? When you wash them off and they reappear like magic, you may have some ants helping them. Al

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

I have had the same thing happen with those yellow milkweed aphids. I think they grow out of thin air. I finally got rid of my milkweed!

• socks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Exactly Renee! It's bizarre how fast they return and so thickly clumped around the flower stem. I have enjoyed seeing the bees attracted to the flowers but I might let the bush go.

• socks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The aphids have just been relentless on the bush. Probably could spend $8 on some spray, but no thanks to that.

OK, just for the record, here's what I did with the bush:

Decided to let the bush die and so stopped watering the pot.
    It wilted badly, needless to say.

Then I felt sorry for it and watered it.

Chopped the whole thing down to about 6" with 1-2 tiny leaves.

Remembered someone had luck with worm castings and whiteflies, so I put about 1/2" of worm castings on top of the soil.

The bush has resprouted, has a little bloom, and no sign of the aphids.

Not sure what worked here--maybe the dry soil, maybe the chopping down, maybe the worm castings. But I hope it continues to do well.

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years