Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socks12345

So. Californians--tomatoes?

socks
10 years ago

I usually don't get a bumper crop of tomatoes, but this year is the worst. The Rutgers has had 4-5 begin to get ripe. The Black Cherry has given me maybe 10. There are some green ones on both bushes, but they just don't ripen. I'm thinking it's the nighttime temps? 65 for tonight.

Anyone else having a year with a lack of tomatoes?

Comments (18)

• emmarene9
    10 years ago

I am in zone 9 also. Planted two tomatoes this year.The one at my house flowered wonderfully but I got no tomatoes. The one at sisters house got three.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

LOL!! Puget Sounder here and this is the best season for tomatoes we've had in years. It's been warm (75-80F typical for the last month) and dry but nites nowhere near 65........55 is more like it and sometimes even lower.

I've been harvesting tomatoes since the 4th of July and every nite I pick a bowlful of the cherries from only two plants. There are still tons more coming.

Normally it is us PNW'ers that gripe about poor tomato performance. Often by the time most are ripe or ready to be picked, the first frost arrives. This year completely different!

• Phildeez
    10 years ago

Central Valley, great year so far until the last couple weeks. Much better than the last 2 years.

• socks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe mine aren't getting enough sun. Oh well, I'll be going to the Farmer's Market!

• yukkuri_kame
    10 years ago

I was traveling a lot from March - May when it was time to plant hot-season crops. I'm just getting a couple of cherries now. San Marzano are green.

I have heard experienced gardeners, especially near the coast complaining of tomato non-harvest.

• akarinz
    10 years ago

Had enormous problem with spider mites this year, so out of four plants, have not eaten one tomato :(

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Rat problems here, so not many this year, but still enough to enjoy.

The 'Principe de Bolognese' plants got very large and had very small fruit. Disappointed in those. I had fruit for weeks and weeks and it was so cool they just wouldn't ripen. Last year we got 500 lbs I think at least so can't complain. There's always next year...

• onederw
    10 years ago

Actually a pretty swell year. Sungold has been tremendous. Black Cherry--meh. Great production from a grafted Brandywine that is only now starting to taper off. Actually worth the huge expense of the plant ($10+). And as always, Green Zebras are the fave in both taste and yield.
    Second crop is en route with plants started from seed from Wild Boar Farms--plants and young 'matoes look very robust, but September is coming. Watch this space.

Kay

• CA Kate z9
    10 years ago

Cherries were good early on, but its too hot now to set fruit. I've cut mine back so they will bear in the fall. Neither of the bigger varieties have had any tomatoes at all. Typical for Central Valley.

• hidesertca
    10 years ago

Romas outstanding this year. Early girl very good. Better boy so so. Beefsteak's not good.

• lgteacher
    10 years ago

Coastal Orange County - poor year for tomatoes. It is much cooler than normal and damp in the morning. If we get a hot spell in the next few weeks, maybe that will get them going.

• MrClint
    10 years ago

It was a another great tomato year. Bumper crops from Sun Gold, New Big Dwarf, Ace 55 and Husky Red Cherry. Black Krim was the only one that didn't pump out very many.

• MrClint
    10 years ago

It was a another great tomato year. Bumper crops from Sun Gold, New Big Dwarf, Ace 55 and Husky Red Cherry. Black Krim was the only one that didn't pump out very many.

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

I got a decent harvest from a Sungold planted in virgin soil in half-sun, but it's about done now. We are getting a few VFN hybrids from our own garden but the plant already looks finished. I tried some Sweet 100s in pots but they were bitter so I pulled them out months ago.
    I'm not a tomato grower, that's for sure.

• csross
    10 years ago

1st time gardener in Riverside, inland SoCal here. Only 4 small tomatoes from an Arkansas Traveller, but great production from a Purple Calabash, Champion, Sweet Million, and Yellow Pear. All my plants have some degree of foliar disease, especially the Sweet Million, but it's still pumping out more tomatoes than leaves!

I've read that in warm climates like mine, we can grow a second crop of fall tomatoes. Any suggestions on when to transplant, or what types to look for? I'm not interested in starting plants from seed, so only what I can get at a nursery.

Thanks!

• nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
    10 years ago

especially near the coast complaining of tomato non-harvest.

Oh yes, it's true.

I'm set to have a $3 tomato - one still green specimen on one plant.

Sungold produced maybe six, all of which are still green. At least these few set as earlier flowers were dropping.

• manifest
    10 years ago

We didn't get such a great crop this year. We had an early start with volunteers, but we're by the coast and had overcast days all summer. The only producers we had were Snow Whites, Sun Golds, Striped Chocolates and Paul Robesons.

Powdery mildew took hold so fast and aggressively that we pulled most of our vines three weeks ago.

• manifest
    10 years ago

We didn't get such a great crop this year. We had an early start with volunteers, but we're by the coast and had overcast days all summer. The only producers we had were Snow Whites, Sun Golds, Striped Chocolates and Paul Robesons.

Powdery mildew took hold so fast and aggressively that we pulled most of our vines three weeks ago.