Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to plant?

Posted by mrsfireman none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 15:38

Husband and I recently purchased 3ac of bare land, not a tree on it just tons of weeds. The property is full sun, and backs up to a fairly busy road. What would you recommend we plant for a good sound and privacy buffer. Were in zone 9, central California . The property receives irrigation water in the back half. We were thinking some sort of redwood , thanks ahead for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to plant?

I am also in Central California zone 9. Around here many people plant Oleander Sister Agnes. I don't especially like Oleander but I have to admit it is perfectly used as a screen. It also is a shrub that looks better from a distance. How close is the road to your house?
I know you want a tree but these will fill in until your tree is large enough to fill out.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 1:03

For trees, the Valley Oak. It is their native home.

If you really want to do it right, for a sound barrier what you really need is a soil berm with a hedges of shrubs planted on the top of it. A soil berm is the most effective way of absorbing traffic noise and could add long-term value to your property.

If you would like to provide shelter for birds (which will then keep your property mostly free of insect pests) consider a screen of native shrubs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Valley Oak

o

The oleander would provide a visual screen but do nothing to stop the traffic noise. We had a similar noise/ visual problem here with the road winding around us. The folks planted 150 oleanders along the road which stopped us from seeing the traffic but we could hear and smell it. Our garden always smelled of diesel exhaust. After 50 years the county moved the road to get rid of the sharp turns and many deaths from accidents. The house was built of concrete and double pane windows did a good job of blocking the noise inside, as long as you could keep the windows closed. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here