Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
filu_gw

Want to add color to a hillside

filu
9 years ago

Hi All,
I have a hillside to the side of my house. It faces west. the entire area gets full sun in the morning until 1 pm after which half of the area will be in the shade. Currently, the whole area is covered with red apple ground cover. I have a sprinkler system the waters the hillside. I am trying to add color to the area by planting either flowers or shrubs. Anyone has any recommendations? I have posted a picture and I plan on removing the smaller palm tree that's on the right side of the hill. P.S. I live in San Diego.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)

• bahia
    9 years ago

Some plants with easy care and great foliage color might include Cordyline 'Cha Cha' and 'Festival', Coprosma 'Evening Glow', Aloes such as Aloe camperi and vanbalenii, flowering shrubs such as Coleonema pulchrum 'Sunset Gold', Streptosolen jamesonii, Erythrina x bidwillii would be just a few possibilities. Aeonium 'Swartzkop' and Euphorbia tirucallii 'Sticks on Fire' and Euphorbia cotiniifolia also do great in San Diego.

• bahia
    9 years ago

Some plants with easy care and great foliage color might include Cordyline 'Cha Cha' and 'Festival', Coprosma 'Evening Glow', Aloes such as Aloe camperi and vanbalenii, flowering shrubs such as Coleonema pulchrum 'Sunset Gold', Streptosolen jamesonii, Erythrina x bidwillii would be just a few possibilities. Aeonium 'Swartzkop' and Euphorbia tirucallii 'Sticks on Fire' and Euphorbia cotiniifolia also do great in San Diego.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Another great option to consider adding some of the more compact, dwarf bougainvilleas that are out, now, that stay a small, tight low ball. There are the BGI "Pixie" series, T "Twilight PixieâÂÂ, âÂÂSunset PixieâÂÂ, âÂÂTeatime PixieâÂÂ, âÂÂDaybreak PixieâÂÂ. Monrovia has their compact cultivars, 'Oh La La', 'Baby Mia', 'Sunvillea' series, 'Vera Deep Purple'. Bougainvilleas in combination with the succulents that bahia has suggested look stunning together in combination. The wonderful thing about bougainvilleas is they have flowers nearly all the time. And, are very easy to maintain, zero pest issues, and do well once established, with low water requirements. Another succulent I would suggest planted in combination with Aeonium 'Swatzkip' and Euphorbia tirucalliii (Sticks on Fire) would be Aeonium 'Sunburst'. It is a wonderful companion Aeonium for 'Swartzkop', the "light" to the "dark" companion. Both are fairly tall, and look very nice planted in front of Sticks on Firel. They all do exceptionally well in my yard, just keep the snails off - they love Aeoniums, especially 'Swartzkop' for some reason.

Patty S.

• VWbrownthumb
    9 years ago

I'm north of you, but we do have some weather similarities. I want to suggest you investigate sedums. There's about a thousand different ones, some of which bloom beautifully, most of which require little or no care. Also drought tolerant. When I was in Orange County, I started a collection of various succulents and sedums, they became the hit of the neighborhood.

Hope you find what you're looking for,
    Virginia