Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
black and yellow catepillers

Posted by tim45z10 sdca (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 16:20

these darned catepillers (sp) have invaded my grape vines. The colors run in circles around their body. This is the first time I have ever seen them in nine years of growing grapes. They are stripping the leaves bare. I cut the leaves off of some and killed others.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: black and yellow catepillers

• Posted by slogal CA z9/Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 17:20

Does it look like the Western Grapeleaf Skeletonizer, aka Harrisina brillians?

Here's a link to the UC IPM pest note:
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r302301011.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of Western Grapeleaf Skeletonizer

o

Please wear gloves if you handle them as their hairs can cause skin reactions and irritation. Populations build as the season wears on. Early control is the key to decreasing damage. An introduced virus usually keeps their numbers low, but it sounds like your caterpillars do not have the virus. Bacillus thuringiensis can be used to control skeletonizer and other caterpillar pests. Handpicking in small areas also is an efficient treatment because of the gregarious feeding habit of the larvae. Caterpillars should be destroyed as soon as they are noticed on the foliage, as all from each cluster of eggs will be in a single group, whereas if the treatment is delayed until the larvae have separated into individuals or small groups, much more labor will be involved. Since the larvae spin their cocoons in the leaves and trash at the bottom of the vines, clean culture is recommended.

o

Thats them. There sure are a lot of them. Thank you for you help. I doubt I got them all. I will inspect and destroy daily.
Tim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here