Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenmommy_2010

R U planting a fall garden & what?

gardenmommy_2010
12 years ago

Are you planting a fall garden & if so when & what? I'm trying to get a fall garden going - started broccoli & cauliflower, planting carrots & beets now. September/October I'll start planting lettuce and swiss chard. Unfortunately, I over-maximized my space for our summer garden & now don't have much room for the fall plantings. I love my tomato & squash plants but, until they're gone, I'm limited in my fall plantings.

What are your fall crops & when do you start them?

Comments (8)

• gardenmommy_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Forgot, also planting sugar snap peas, snow peas & potatoes.

• dak56
    12 years ago

I've ordered garlic and I'm growing cow peas in the bed that I plan to plant them in as a green manure. I plan to put the garlic in mid-October/early November.

Starting cool weather starts is so hard, since between now and frost the weather will probably stay above 90. How to get them in the ground and not have them bolt or wilt is a challenge.

• boeremeisie
    12 years ago

So far I am planning on putting in bok choy, garlic, shallots, rainbow chard and bush peas in my home made earth boxes.

I have my pumpkins and late sweet corn in the raised bed, and the corn is just beginning to tassel, so that bed will be tied up for awhile yet. Guess I will just put in a cover crop - I heard edamame is a good nitrogen fixer. Plus you can always eat the edamame.

• jenn
    12 years ago

I was going to ask this... good thing I searched first.

I'm considering filling some large blank spots with edibles. We've grown tomatoes, chives, onions and peppers, but I'd like to try some cool-season crops this year. I don't know if I should start them now from seed, or start simple and buy plants at the nursery when they're available.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I'd start from seed.

It's always the dilemma, isn't it? Keep your warm season veggies going, or rip them out and start your cool season veggies. I'm always late with the cool season ones because of that, and never get a good harvest.

This year my warm season veggies were killed by nematodes, so I'll be trying cool season ones early. I wish I liked them as much.

• deep___roots
    12 years ago

I noticed a stray potato coming up. So I checked my harvested potatoes for any that had sprouts and sowed 5 of them fellas hoping for some spuds in November? First time I've tried this.
    Otherwise, just going with winter cover crops and will do some sweet peas around Halloween.

• pennypond USDA 10 Sunset 21 CA
    12 years ago

I find fall garden very fun and rewarding. In order to plant out seedlings in October I've started seed tray of broccoli (De Cicco, Atlantic, and purple sprouting), leeks (American Flag), Napa cabbage, Hikurei turnip, and kohlrabi. They are starting to show true leaves now. They stay outside under trees, and are brought indoor at night for a few more hours of light. On the list to start soon are celery, cauliflower, and daikon. Lettuce will be next month.

I also stared seed tray of snap dragon, Iceland poppy, and flowering cabbage.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

I'm planting some more herbs, and some winter type tomatoes, and more peppers, but doing it in pots near the house. I have SUCH a time with 4-legged pests in my garden, I have a hard time with a veggie garden. I would have to put up some serious hardware cloth fencing around, and about 2-3 feet down in the ground to have a veggie garden, sigh... And even then, I'd still probably not keep out the ground squirrels and roof rats, unless I topped it with large-hole chicken wire to keep the ground squirrels and rats out (and birds). Maybe one day I'll carve out some room on my front slope, and undertake building a veggie garden that would be contained like Ft. Knox, and on it's own drip system. Major project, but if I can put together a plan, and it looks nice from the street since it could be seen, I might consider tackling it next season.

Patty S.