Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree Oleanders...

Posted by stanofh (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 08 at 16:32

The nicest use of Oleanders around. In particular these white Oleander bare a strong resemblence to Hawaiin Plumeria trees.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree Oleanders...

Oleanders trained as standards. It should be against the law to grow them in any other fashion. Absolutely superb, sir, I concur!

o

Spectacular! I'm not a huge fan of them unless they're well taken care of, which doesn't seem to be the norm. My DH thought he positively hated them until he saw a low hedge of them in the parking lot of a Lowes, no less. He is now not so opposed to them. I will show him these pics. I bet he'll find them quite acceptable. : )

Diana

o

For a commercial planting this is indeed an enlightened corporation willing to spend the big bucks for the overall beauty of the area. Oleanders properly grown are wonderful. Al

o

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 12, 08 at 10:48

I have two 'Sister Mary Agnes' white oleander standards and one red oleander standard. The SMA has grown much faster and is incredibly floriferous. Only problem is the litter - I'm always sweeping dropped flowers off the sidewalk! But it's worth it. Thanks for the encouraging photo of mature specimens.

One warning for home gardeners - oleander standards need serious staking to grow upright. The trunks remain very flexible for the first three or four years, and it's all too easy for the trunk to thicken into a permanently leaning possition.

o

I have a appx.15' tall Oleander tree on my yard..,problem is "not blooming",lots of flower buds then the buds are drying up! What should I do? Last year I had "some" flowers!
Thank you!

o

I have a row of white oleanders pruned up as trees that line my long driveway. About 20 of them. Not as large and spectacular as these are - and they are quite gorgeous - but still very lovely! The very sad thing down here in S. California, is that we will eventually lose all our oldeanders as Oleander Leaf Scorch has spread to San Diego county. All of the oleanders in Riverside & San Bernardino counties, as well as most in Orange county have died, now. And, you can see the oleanders dying all over the medians here in San Diego county. Very sad. It is fatal, there is no cure, so we will eventually lose them all. I also have a nice hedge of white oleanders that line my back yard area as well. I am seeing Leaf Scorch already in my back yard oleanders, and am slowing losing those. My oldeander trees out front so far, seem to be fine, but it's just a matter of time for them, too. So very sad.

Patty S.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 3, 11 at 19:16

Those are spectacular indeed. Thanks for posting that.

Here many oleanders have died, but I've noticed on my walks a few which have sustained some damage are coming back.

o

Hoovb, they may appear as though they're coming back, but one stricken with OLS, they're doomed. I have had several that have done the same thing, but they will eventually die once infected.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC IPM: Oleander Leaf Scorch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here