Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melle_sacto_gw

Who planted new things in the middle of summer

besides me LOL!

I have a general policy of not planting during summer, but I stopped in to OSH early this month and saw they had a bunch of clearance plants. I picked up three Salvia nemerosa, and three Penstemon "Apple Blossom".

The salvia may have been a mistake, we'll see, but I think the Penstemon will adapt well to my relatively dry full sun sloping front yard. I am much better at remembering to water this year as we installed some new trees and groundcover in the spring

Comments (20)

• tierra
    10 years ago

I planted agastache (raspberry summer) and dug up and replanted a coreopsis (red and yellow variety, maybe Route 66) and a penstemon (Hidalgo). I'm with you.. .we'll see... I didn't have a choice as my husband decided to install sprinklers and the plants had to be dug out to accommodate the pipes.

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

I do it every year, even though I say I won't. So far I have been good, and only vincas, a few succulents, and irises have been planted. I'm trying to hold out for fall to get another Double Delight rose.

• yukkuri_kame
    10 years ago

I've been propagating sweet potato vines like crazy last few weeks. 6-8inch cuttings from the tips of growing vines. The heat doesn't seem to phase the cuttings much at all.

Sowed chives and garlic chives 'Hana Niira', both coming up OK, but they are in containers in moderate shade. Also sowed basil in containers, germination was not great, but they seem to be surviving the heat with no problem.

On the other hand, I recently transplanted some winged bean seedlings to a garden bed and todays heat scorched it pretty badly. Arranged some shade for tomorrow, hope it pulls through.

• aquilachrysaetos
    10 years ago

I planted a Natchez Crape Myrtle in my back yard. It seems to like it there.

• yukkuri_kame
    10 years ago

Planted fall potatoes.

• tierra
    10 years ago

I have a sweet potato vine in my hanging basket in the kitchen window. LOVE it. Never did a hanging basket with this vine in it. I just have never tried it. Now I don't see how I will ever do without it in a hanging basket! What a pretty plant!

• MrClint
    10 years ago

I started some Earthbox tomatoes:
    {{gwi:550800}}

I start new vincas by pruning the flowering plants and then place the trimmings in the desired new location. Just water and viola, new plants pop up from the seeds.

• aquilachrysaetos
    10 years ago

I planted a Natchez Crape Myrtle in my back yard. It seems to like it there.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Dahlias that were 70% off.

• Central_Cali369
    10 years ago

I actually moved to my new home in mid-July and like any good plant junkie, I couldn't wait until fall to redo some of the landscaping! lol

I removed a lot of boxwood and privet and planted some Grevillea "bonfire," Strelitzia reginae, some aloe "little gem," deer grass, a purple bougainvillea and a lot of succulents that I took from my previous garden.

• booshified
    10 years ago

Bought this house in December. Finally got settled in enough to start planting. This is what I've planted since May-ish...

Hass avocado
    Issai kiwi
    Tomato
    Grapes (can't remember the variety off hand but got it at Walter Anderson's)
    Bell pepper
    Kale
    Cucumber
    Celery
    Assorted flowering vines to cover an ugly chain link fence
    Assorted succulents
    1 plumeria cutting

This is the first house I have owned and the back yard was pretty bear except the lawn and a jackaranda. Everything has been doing fine with the exception of the kiwi but It was only planted a few weeks ago and is hopefully just in shock.

• anuzzie
    10 years ago

We finally got going on landscaping this summer. A month ago planted limonium, dwarf agapanthus, nandina, salvia, penstemon (margarita bop), and Erigeron. Whew!

All are thriving, mostly due to a mild summer I believe.

• bbblueyes
    10 years ago

I helped my sister-in-law plant a million plants this weekend. They just moved to Bakersfield and their backyard was pretty bare. Lowes had wonderful plants in the clearance section 50 to 75 percent off. We were in heaven! I know this isn't exactly ideal planting conditions as it was 106 degrees but it has cooled down to the high 90's. We planted a lemon tree, peach tree, nectarines, pomegranate, 4 oleanders,three potato bushes, 4 dahlias,10 climbing roses ,5 or 6 photinia bushes, 3 mandevilla, lots of verbena and many other miscellaneous plants. There's no way we could wait until it was cooler. They probably would have died if we did. Even if some don't survive they were so cheap that it was worth a try.

• bbblueyes
    10 years ago

I helped my sister-in-law plant a million plants this weekend. They just moved to Bakersfield and their backyard was pretty bare. Lowes had wonderful plants in the clearance section 50 to 75 percent off. We were in heaven! I know this isn't exactly ideal planting conditions as it was 106 degrees but it has cooled down to the high 90's. We planted a lemon tree, peach tree, nectarines, pomegranate, 4 oleanders,three potato bushes, 4 dahlias,10 climbing roses ,5 or 6 photinia bushes, 3 mandevilla, lots of verbena and many other miscellaneous plants. There's no way we could wait until it was cooler. They probably would have died if we did. Even if some don't survive they were so cheap that it was worth a try.

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Wow, I'm looking forward to seeing all the photos of your hard work come spring!
    Renee

• MK
    10 years ago

I planted tomatoes in late July! I had gophers take out several tomatoes in early inJune, but I still had seedlings. I decided to put them in the ground because I can still get tomatoes inlate Sept! So far, so good!

• CAManzanita
    10 years ago

Several things! Salvia apiana (White Sage), Salvia mellifera (Black Sage), Salvia spatheca (Hummingbird Sage), Epilobium canum spp. canum (California Fuchsia), Abutilon palmeri (Indian Mallow), Festuca californica (California Fescue) and several others...This summer began quite cool, allowing for the natives to get reasonably comfortable before the heat kicked in.
    In the picture is the flowers from the California Fuchsia

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

I moved some ground cover thyme that had been invaded by weeds. I had to control the weeds so I thought whatever thyme could make it was a bonus. Right after I moved it, the heat struck. I currently have 50% of it surviving but I wasn't sure if any would make the move so I'm ahead. Now it's just waiting for the thyme to regrow in the old spot where I had the weed war going. I was going to just spray the area but thought I'd give the thyme a chance. I probably should have potted it and set it in the shade instead to increase the amount that lived.

• socks
    10 years ago

I put in some sedum and transplanted 3 coral bells which were in a bad spot. Everything doing fine.

• realityfaery
    10 years ago

You're not alone! That's all we have been doing it seems this summer. We created 3 new flower beds two weekends ago and planted Star Jasmine, 2 butterball hibiscus, 2 crown of bohemia hibiscus, 2 flowering plum trees, cannas, and transplanted iris. In the frontyard, I planted hosta and 3 petite butterfly plants. Not to mention the 3 hibiscus I potted and the tree seedlings I have been transplanting. So far so good! They all seem to be pretty happy. Needless to say...its been a busy summer.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm