Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for screening hedge in West L.A. front yard

Posted by clematisintegrifolia Santa Monica zone 24 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 6, 10 at 16:45

I'm helping some family friends come up with ideas to convert their front lawn into a low water garden and one thing that needs to be addressed is some kind of shrubs to screen out the neighbors to the right. They have a weird little picket fence and an ugly mostly concrete front yard with lots of kids toys and plastic.

So something that fits in with the new low water yard (probably a lot of succulents) and not too jungle like (she doesn't really like a "wild" look.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for screening hedge in West L.A. front yard

What direction does it face? All sun, part sun, all shade?
For low water or drought tolerant there are a lot of other choices than succulents.
How big is the area?
Is it possible to post a pic?
Do they have a preference on flower color etc.
So many choices with such a generic request can't recommend anything at this time.

Start looking thru the Western Garden Book for ideas.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 6, 10 at 19:21

Tough as nails, all-too-common, boring, quick to form a dense screen, and utterly, completely reliable: Ligustrum japonicum, available at any big box store.

o

I second privets. I don't think they are boring.
They are lush and gorgeous when they are left unpruned, and they don't need water. They will grow in sun or shade, and they have a decent growth rate. They get pretty flowers, they don't leave a lot of litter. There are darn good reasons some plants are ubiquitous.
Renee

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 8, 10 at 3:02

There are darn good reasons some plants are ubiquitous.

Amen!

o

Speaking of ubiquitous-

How about Iceberg roses? Mine is seven feet tall and blooms from top to bottom for most of the year.

Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoovb on the Holy Trinity: Privet, Iceberg, Olive

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here