Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heat wave cause this sunflower to go bad?

Posted by tropical_thought SF CA 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 25, 10 at 17:09

I have this full grown sunflower, I bought at a nursery instead of raising it, and it was not getting sun. Then we had the heat wave in San Francisco, and I decided to trim a leaf, and I found this, please see photo. I know it must have been going bad before, but I never noticed it until now. This is the worst leaf, and some of the other have less of these brown spots. Can it be saved with treatment like my roses, or does it have to be destroyed? I have never seen anything like this before.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to flickr with sunflower leaf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heat wave cause this sunflower to go bad?

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 26, 10 at 1:09

looks like it has rust.

o
RE: Heat wave cause this sunflower to go bad?

I looked up sunflower rust and I found Puccinia helianthi, but it won't affect my other plants at least. Thanks, I have seen rust on my roses, but that is a different type of rust.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here