Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tim45z10

semidwarf fig

tim45z10
12 years ago

Other than black jack, are there any semidwarf fig trees available to grow on the coast of San Diego? Thank you for your help.

Tim

Comments (8)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

I think Violette de Bordeaux stays pretty small,l but figs are easy to prune, just keep them topped and pruned to the size you want.

Patty S.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

I did not even realize there is a Fig Forum. You might ask there.

From skimming through it, many people pinch the tips of new branches at the length of 6 leaves (count six leaves up from the start of the branch, then pinch). This maximizes fruit production while limiting size, which you want to do so you can bird-net the tree. You also want your fruit exposed to sunlight so it will ripen properly, but that might be more of a cold-climate grower's thing than a So. Cal thing.

You want to keep your tree small no matter what variety it is. Or such that I gathered after skimming the fig forum, though that might be because there are people in New Jersey and Pennsylvania growing figs and putting their trees in the garage for the winter.

We got our first figs this year from our little tree ('Brown Turkey'). My goodness they were delicious. Now I want more fig trees. My neighbors have a 'Kadota' and gave us some. They were out-of-this-world wonderful.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

My 20 year old Brown Turkey I have pruned so I can reach the top from the ground. Even if your tree is huge now it can be pruned to the size you want. Al

12 years ago

Al's right. I inherited a ginormous Panache fig, that has a ton of fruit on it. At about 20 feet. I'm going to risk picking this year, and then I'm topping it severely. I'm way too old to be climbing up a ladder to pick figs, even if they are the most delicious figs, ever! I have a Brown Turkey, a Flanders (that the rabbits/ground squirrels nearly girdled and killed), and this huge, huge Panache. I did check with one of our fruit tree experts here, and he said the same thing as Al is saying, that figs can be pretty severely pruned back if they get too tall. I'm wondering when I lop off these branches, if there's any way to re-root them? Al, any idea?? I can post over on the Fig Forum, too. And, to get back to Tim's original post, Tim, try a Panache. They are extremely good.

Patty S.

• lisascenic Urban Gardener, Oakland CA
    12 years ago

Hoosier -- it might be easier on your tree if you lowered it over the course of a couple of years. Many folks advise taking down 1/3 over three years.

I'm doing this with a huge plum. In fact the Arborist will be here tomorrow.

• wcgypsy
    12 years ago

I remember many years ago doing fig cuttings as advised then by taking cuttings when dormant, storing in the fridge for so long, etc. A couple of months ago I took a couple of cuttings from my White Adriatic and stuck them in a glass of water and they rooted just fine. They're potted now.

12 years ago

Thanks, wcgypsy, I'll take several cuttings and pot them up. I have a few folks that would like a Panache, and I wouldn't mind planting another one somewhere on my property. Lisascenic, I asked this orchardist this very question - should I take it down in thirds, as you do other fruit trees. He and several others have told me that figs are different, and can be taken down all at once. Won't hurt the tree at all.

Patty S.

• napapen
    12 years ago

I was able to purchase two dwarfs on line - one from ebay and the other from a grower. I plan to keep them lower and I understand one of them can be grown like a house plant and produce figs. I plan to try it.

Penny