Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akcafe1_gw

Tall privacy plants around pool, non-flowering

akcafe1
10 years ago

anyone have any suggestions on some tall, privacy plants that can be placed along a property common wall (for a small yard) that have a non-invasive root system (for around the pool and pool equipment) as well as no flowering (want to avoid bee's) We thought about the podocarpus tree, but trunk and tree get too large. Privets flower and the ficus roots are invasive. Climate zone 21 - Thanks for any help!

This post was edited by akcafe1 on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 17:43

Comments (10)

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

How tall, and what is the size of the planting area?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

There's a tall narrow boxwood called 'Green Tower'. You will need patience to get an effective screen, because it's not a zippy-fast grower, but it would be a long term, effective solution. To about 10' tall, 2' wide. I'm very happy with mine.

If you want fast, Ligustrum or Photinia is the way to go. Just cut off the flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: green tower buxus

• akcafe1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

trying to get to 12-14 ft height - have about 50 feet of wall - thanks

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

Sorry I was not more clear in my earlier post. The more important size information needed is the size of the bed out from the wall--the width of the planting area.

• eldubbu
    9 years ago

I have a similar challenge.. 50ft long fence line, 4 feet in width. USDA zone 10. I have had clumping bamboo in barrels but the litter is significant and it is all year. Does anyone have any experience with Dodonaea viscosa?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Dodonea looks good for a few years, then starts to die. It is a short-lived plant, which is fine (for the plant) because it reseeds with abandon. It drops quite a bit of litter. It's not all that dense in habit. If you want something for a few years, it's a quick grower with not much of a root system. I left mine about 10 years then pulled them all out and replaced with a narrow growing Pittosporum.

• nil13
    9 years ago

Narrow, tal, fastl screening plants without flower, leaf drop, or invasive roots that isn't an Italian cypress cultivar is the Holy Grail of the horticulture world.

• surfcitysocal
    9 years ago

I have a very tall podocarpus gracilior hedge around our pool on three sides which I affectionately refer to Hedgezilla. Yes, it can get big, but to keep it under control in a small, tight suburban setting as ours is, it becomes a maintenance nightmare which I've delegated to a very expensive tree-trimming company. Yes, this plant doesn't break or lift concrete or create oodles of litter, doesn't have thorns and is disease- and pest-free, and never needs water once established. (Ours has been in since the early 90s.) But, it's boring. Boring. BORING. Worst of all, it doesn't provide any wildlife benefits or visual interest. I hate it. It's the bane of my existence. I've decided to gradually replace it with a selection of plants that will be more natural looking, provide some wildlife benefits, and won't require a heavy-handed, man-made intervention on a regular basis.

• surfcitysocal
    9 years ago

Around pool equipment in a tight area, I have some upright rosemary (it doesn't pop up everywhere like some rosemaries can). It's easily trimmed to keep neat (but doesn't get huge and require a lot maintenance), isn't picky about soil, doesn't like a lot of water, has a nice scent if you brush against it, and you can use it in cooking, too! It flowers a bit (mine gets partial shade), but I don't see a lot of bees on it.

• SK
    7 years ago

I have a similar challenge: a 40 ft long short wall (4 ft tall) & need immediate 10ft-12ft tall privacy in a 5ft wide planter area (between a retaining wall & a pool)- need an evergreen hedge or tree w low litter, non-invasive roots, no berries or blooms during the swimming season (late May-late Sept). Los Angeles area. TIA.