Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name of this container/tree shrub?

Posted by kristineca z10 CA (Coast) (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 18:09

Anyone know what the tree or shrub in front of this Milan building is? What tree does so well in so small a container. I want one! Thanks for your help. Kristine

http://instagram.com/p/rZadpMFAAT/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name of this container/tree shrub?

Oh my gosh. Maybe someone with less "mature" eyes will be able to see that, Kristine. If you have a close up of the shrub, post that up. Too small to be able to tell, clearly. Almost looks like an oleander, but that's the best I can do being so far away.

Patty S.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 21:14

it does look like an oleander.

o

Sorry about the photo size. After looking at other oleanders in containers, I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Can you really keep them pots that small?

At first I thought maybe it was something more exotic, but I know Italians love oleander in containers.

o

Well, they have a pretty aggressive root system, but I suppose anything can b contained in a pot. And, if the Italians have been growing them in pots (they grow everything in pots), then apparently, you must be able to do so.

Patty S.

o

Wow! Given the final size of oleanders, I'd have never thought a pot was possible.

I think I'm going to try it.

Thanks, Kristine....I needed yet another plant, haha.

o

Sugi, there are dwarf/compact cultivars of oleanders out there. 'Petite Pink', 'Little Red', "Petite Salmon', Turner's Carnival', etc. Not all oleanders end up 30' tall. They're just becoming more difficult to find in California, due to Oleander Leaf Scorch. Which is fatal and there is no treatment.

Patty S.

o

Patty, I would have thought it was due to CalTrans. In the last decades, it seems like hundreds of humongous Oleanders have been pulled up. I remember they use to line the center dividers of freeways and boulevards of LA and surrounding counties. The ones on freeways replaced with concrete dividers and the ones on boulevards replaced with "islands" of Agapanthus and whatnot.

o

Patty,

In the photo the OP was referencing, they looked full size, no? But yea, I suppose I could look for a dwarf one. Had no idea that the Oleanders were dying off like that; between that tidbit and what Musa just reminded me of (especially in Socal), they have all but disappeared. Back in the 90s, they were everywhere...I forgot about that.

o

No, it has nothing at all to do with CalTrans, musa. CalTrans has been forced to pull out dying oleanders DUE to Leaf Scorch, sadly. There are almost no living oleanders in Riverside/San Bernardino counties, most in Los Angeles are gone now, and Orange County and San Diego counties are seeing the same marching demise. Most evident along our freeway systems, since so many medians are planted with the tough oleander.

Sugi, they could be, but for your purposes, you might prefer a more compact cultivar. Unless you have this kind of space and size of pots to create the same effect. Otherwise, I would consider a scaled down version. They roots are incredibly dense and deep. I would not be surprised if a full sized cultivar's roots could crack a pot.

Now, does this mean you shouldn't try? I would, if I could find reasonably priced plants. But, if you start to see signs of leaf scorch, just know that the plant's days are numbered.

I have a very long driveway with about 16 very large white oleander trees in total, 8 lining each side. They are spectacular. They have been in full bloom since May. It has been a very unusual year for them. They are all doing very well. Right now. But, we have evidence of leaf scorch in our yard, in our other oleanders, as well as evidence of leaf scorch in oleanders in our neighborhood. So, my husband and I know it is just a matter of time before we lose these lovely trees. Here is a pic of a couple of the trees towards the beginning of the driveway, near the house, can't find the photo I took of all the trees lining the driveway, which is quite spectacular.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC IPM: Oleander Leaf Scorch

o

I had a 100' row of Oleanders in my backyard 15 years ago as did many of my neighbors. All of them died one by one, or at least I thought. I recently saw one poking over the wall from my neighbor's yard so I guess one escaped.

I'm surprised that some nurseries still sell them as I can't imagine they will survive long term.

When they get Leaf Scorch, they die back but then come back looking like they will make it. They then die back again, and again until they give up.

o

Exactly, Greg. My friends in Poway also lost about a 100' oleander hedge over the last year or so. And, I have a neighbor just two lots away who is also losing their long oleander hedge. I am noticing something rather interesting, though: I see that the pink/red cultivars seem to be more affected, and die faster. All my white oleanders are doing well for now. And, a few that had shown signs 5 years ago, after severe pruning are back and doing fine over the last 5 years, with no evidence of scorch. My gardener and I find that very interesting. I don't let him prune my oleanders with his pruners. He has to use mine, and he has to clean them with 1:10 bleach between plants.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here