Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristineca

Name of this container/tree shrub?

kristineca
9 years ago

Anyone know what the tree or shrub in front of this Milan building is? What tree does so well in so small a container. I want one! Thanks for your help. Kristine

http://instagram.com/p/rZadpMFAAT/

Comments (18)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Oh my gosh. Maybe someone with less "mature" eyes will be able to see that, Kristine. If you have a close up of the shrub, post that up. Too small to be able to tell, clearly. Almost looks like an oleander, but that's the best I can do being so far away.

Patty S.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

it does look like an oleander.

• kristineca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry about the photo size. After looking at other oleanders in containers, I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Can you really keep them pots that small?

At first I thought maybe it was something more exotic, but I know Italians love oleander in containers.

9 years ago

Well, they have a pretty aggressive root system, but I suppose anything can b contained in a pot. And, if the Italians have been growing them in pots (they grow everything in pots), then apparently, you must be able to do so.

Patty S.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    9 years ago

Wow! Given the final size of oleanders, I'd have never thought a pot was possible.

I think I'm going to try it.

Thanks, Kristine....I needed yet another plant, haha.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

Patty, I would have thought it was due to CalTrans. In the last decades, it seems like hundreds of humongous Oleanders have been pulled up. I remember they use to line the center dividers of freeways and boulevards of LA and surrounding counties. The ones on freeways replaced with concrete dividers and the ones on boulevards replaced with "islands" of Agapanthus and whatnot.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    9 years ago

Patty,

In the photo the OP was referencing, they looked full size, no? But yea, I suppose I could look for a dwarf one. Had no idea that the Oleanders were dying off like that; between that tidbit and what Musa just reminded me of (especially in Socal), they have all but disappeared. Back in the 90s, they were everywhere...I forgot about that.

9 years ago

No, it has nothing at all to do with CalTrans, musa. CalTrans has been forced to pull out dying oleanders DUE to Leaf Scorch, sadly. There are almost no living oleanders in Riverside/San Bernardino counties, most in Los Angeles are gone now, and Orange County and San Diego counties are seeing the same marching demise. Most evident along our freeway systems, since so many medians are planted with the tough oleander.

Sugi, they could be, but for your purposes, you might prefer a more compact cultivar. Unless you have this kind of space and size of pots to create the same effect. Otherwise, I would consider a scaled down version. They roots are incredibly dense and deep. I would not be surprised if a full sized cultivar's roots could crack a pot.

Now, does this mean you shouldn't try? I would, if I could find reasonably priced plants. But, if you start to see signs of leaf scorch, just know that the plant's days are numbered.

I have a very long driveway with about 16 very large white oleander trees in total, 8 lining each side. They are spectacular. They have been in full bloom since May. It has been a very unusual year for them. They are all doing very well. Right now. But, we have evidence of leaf scorch in our yard, in our other oleanders, as well as evidence of leaf scorch in oleanders in our neighborhood. So, my husband and I know it is just a matter of time before we lose these lovely trees. Here is a pic of a couple of the trees towards the beginning of the driveway, near the house, can't find the photo I took of all the trees lining the driveway, which is quite spectacular.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC IPM: Oleander Leaf Scorch

• gregbradley
    9 years ago

I had a 100' row of Oleanders in my backyard 15 years ago as did many of my neighbors. All of them died one by one, or at least I thought. I recently saw one poking over the wall from my neighbor's yard so I guess one escaped.

I'm surprised that some nurseries still sell them as I can't imagine they will survive long term.

When they get Leaf Scorch, they die back but then come back looking like they will make it. They then die back again, and again until they give up.

9 years ago

Exactly, Greg. My friends in Poway also lost about a 100' oleander hedge over the last year or so. And, I have a neighbor just two lots away who is also losing their long oleander hedge. I am noticing something rather interesting, though: I see that the pink/red cultivars seem to be more affected, and die faster. All my white oleanders are doing well for now. And, a few that had shown signs 5 years ago, after severe pruning are back and doing fine over the last 5 years, with no evidence of scorch. My gardener and I find that very interesting. I don't let him prune my oleanders with his pruners. He has to use mine, and he has to clean them with 1:10 bleach between plants.

Patty S.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    9 years ago

Patty,

We still have Oleanders up here...in bulk. I had no idea that was happening to them. But now thanks to you guys, I can try it in a pot.

I bought a Petite Pink but in hindsight wish I had grabbed one in red instead. I had the greatest pot to try this in but for heaven's sake, I just discovered moments ago...this thing doesn't have a hole at the bottom!

{{gwi:551214}}

Who makes a pot this big without drainage?
    I got these with the house and they're set up on a drip system....I so had planned to plant the oleander here!

(Ignore the mulch. Leftover from pouring on top of my newly amended garden beds.)

• kristineca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the oleander info. We still have plenty of oleander that are doing ok as both private and public roadside hedges in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties. There's still quite a few massive stretches still doing fine on the highways in Kern County. Maybe the leaf scorch hasn't gotten this far north yet?

The photo I posted was interesting to me because of how much tree/shrub was contained in what I think is a relatively small container. But now I'm noticing how many large shrubs and pruned trees are in containers in the outdoor malls here in Santa Barbara. It's very similar to Italy in some ways. Put it in a pot, water and fertilize (and fertilize some more) and never transplant.

The new airport here has lemon trees planted out front in containers so large that it's noticeably disproportionate and many are not doing well.. Semi dwarf Meyer lemons do not need a pot that is 4' x 4' x 4'. The Italians do know something about plants in small containers.

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

Sometimes the only difference between a pot and a container is the hole. Also, there are many places that are willing to forego a drainage hole in favor of spending slightly more attention on a plant. Hotels and other lobbies, f'rinstance.

Then again maybe someone forgot?

• lgteacher
    9 years ago

You can try drilling a hole if you really like the pot. Hotels and businesses sometimes use pots without holes so they don't have water coming out the bottom making a mess. A gardening service changes out the plants regularly so they look nice.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    9 years ago

It would take about 15 minutes to drill a hole in your pot, any drill bit recommended for use on tile will do the job. Al

• surfcitysocal
    9 years ago

You might also take into consideration that oleander is poisonous and can kill pets that might be inclined to eat it. I also read recently about a small child that ate some parts of it and died.

• jakkom
    9 years ago

If you see these insects around your oleanders, it's a glassy-winged sharpshooter. CalTrans does not plant oleanders any longer because the GWS does not just cause oleander leaf scorch - more critically, it spreads Xylella fastidiosa, the bacterium that causes Pierce's disease.

Pierce's disease kills grapevines, and there are no known treatments for it. CA's wine industry is worth billions to its economy, and this imported pest (it's native to the SE, appearing in CA almost two decades ago) is one of the most significant agricultural dangers to appear in our state.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Glassy Winged Sharpshooter