Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ts91786

Need Help in ID'ing this Avocado

ts91786
10 years ago

Hello,
I need a little help in identifying an avocado tree that is growing in the front yard of my recently purchased home. I'm hoping there are some avocado experts here that can help. It is definitely not one of the more commonly grown types in this area (Haas or Fuerte). I don't believe the avocado ready for harvesting but this is the largest one on the tree so far.
Thanks in advance.
Tony

Comments (8)

• gregbradley
    10 years ago

Not Haas, Lamb Haas, Sir Prize, Reed that I have.

Not Pinkerton, Gwen, or Zutano that are similar to Haas - rough skinned Avocados. EXCEPT the fruit shape seems exactly like a Pinkerton.

Not Mexicola, Stewart based on picture.

Fruit too oblong to be Anaheim or Bacon if all fruit are that shape.

My guess would be Fuerte. Similar to full grown 35' tree in my back yard that I haven't identified yet but I'm thinking is a Fuerte. Why do you not think it could be Fuerte?

This post was edited by GregBradley on Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 22:36

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Are you sure it's not Fuerte? That's what my young Fuerte avocados looked like.
    Renee

• ts91786
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Greg / Renee,
    The Fuertes I have seen at the farmers market tend to be more pear shape. I guess I'll see what these look like when they are close to being ripe. A friend thought that the avocado maybe a Russell. The Russell avocado shape is closer but the skin pattern does not look the same.

Do your Fuerte avocados look like "gerkin pickels" when less than 2 inches on the tree? When they are small they drop all over the ground and look like shriveled up gerkin pickles. It's all good.
    Right now, I see all the other avocado trees in the neighborhood (Haas) and they are looking very nice (almost ready).

Thanks for the reply

Tony

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

That's exactly what they look like. I never got many avos from it. so I cut it down and planted another Hass.

• gregbradley
    10 years ago

Tony,
    I see you are also in Upland. If your tree is older like mine, it is even more likely it is a Fuerte since that was the most common commercial variety in this are until about 30 years ago.

Russell? I don't think it even exists in CA. I don't think your fruit resembles pictures I have seen online for that variety anyway. Your picture is a perfect example of a 2/3 mature pyriform shaped avocado.

I have found quite a few pictures online for a Fuerte that seem wrong in shape to me. Some say the shape is Pyriform, like your sample. Some say it is Obovate.

Here is an example that I believe shows it correctly: http://www.specialtyproduce.com/produce/Fuerte_Avocados_6723.php

I hesitate to say that I think UCR's example for a Fuerte is incorrect. http://ucavo.ucr.edu/AvocadoVarieties/VarietyFrame.html#Anchor-47857

That is a link to the Variety List. You will have to choose Fuerte on the list. Can they really have it wrong?

• ts91786
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the help and info. I'm inclined to agree that this may be a Fuerte after all. Now, I'm hoping that the avocados make it to maturity.

When do avocados ripen in the the Inland Empire area? The neighborhood is full of tree squirrels that have a bad habit of biting the fruit in half (the smaller fruit).

Thanks for the information and help

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

My Hass are done- they ripen from January to August, when they start to taste a little rancid. I don't remember when the Fuerte ripen because mine always fell off of the tree.

No relief on the squirrels. My neighbor uses spring traps tied to the trunks of his trees, and the guy down the street uses a pellet gun. I keep my fingers crossed that the next generation will not know what avocados are. Good luck.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    10 years ago

I have a Mexicola that I will be cutting down. The fruit are tiny-like small chicken eggs,with a big seed. It has an edible skin that I don't find very tasty.
    Why it does this I don't know.I read that most Mexicola's make fine fruit, a bit small..but not THIS small.
    That's my second try with them...my first was delicious..then died from root rot . Back to the markets for fruit from now on.