Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2010 Garden Report...so far...

Posted by littlebird z9/sun14/ N. CA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 11, 10 at 19:05

8-11-2010-Windsor, California-I picked up a couple of bulbs of Early Garlic at Harmony Farm Supply in Sebastopol this morning and will plant them right away. I just put in Tuscan/Dinosaur kale plants and flat leaved parsley. Imwalle Gardens in Santa Rosa has Fava Bean seed in bulk. I might plant a few of those too. As soon as the shallots come in I'll plant some. I have edible pod peas to plant a little later after the Mortgage Lifter tomato is finished...finished? It has barely started. Lots of green tomatoes but we get impatient with it every year. Its worth the wait because the fruit are so good.

The Mexico tomato has just a hint of rosy cheeks on a couple of the large fruits. The Stupice and Early Girl have been producing nicely, supplying the whole neighborhood. I just picked the first two San Marzanos.

The little round, zucchini like, Tatume squash grew very well but we didnt care for them so we wont plant again next year. The Zucchino Rampicante completed a couple of robust squash a few weeks ago but the new fruit looks spindly so I hope it continues with a few more big ones. We found it low on taste when floured and fried like zucchini but I hear its good in soups and stews due to the fact that it holds its texture so Ill try it that way. Supposedly it doesnt turn mushy when frozen.

I planted a couple of peppers, Lipstick and Corno Di Torro in black pots to hurry up the warmth of the soil this spring, then sunk the pots to keep them from over heating in the hot weather. They did very well but have paused for a couple of weeks now, dropping their buds. They seem just a little stunted so next time they will go into the ground. It might have been the side dressing of compost I gave them when they looked like they needed it. I see tiny buds returning now. The California Wonder bell peppers, in the ground, are slow and just now have lots of ping-pong ball sized fruit.

The squash Striata dItalia I got from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds in Petaluma didnt taste all that good to us so Ill plant the smooth gray zucchini and the black next time.

The rosy and black egg plant I have in 35 gallon flower pots have some nice large fruitits time to pick them.

I wish I would have thinned the Fuyu (Jiro) persimmon. It set very heavy on this first year of fruiting for a four year tree. It hurts when perfectly good, green 2" fruit is pushed off the tree by its close neighbor. Live and learn.

Theres more but I didnt set out to write a book so Happy Gardening!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2010 Garden Report...so far...

Great information, especially on the new squash varieties you tried. I'll add some:

Ground Cherries from Baker Creek grow really well in Simi and taste, well, funky. Sort of musky. I don't like them one bit. Really icky. No one liked them.

Ichiban Eggplant is crisp, sweet, and delicious and I will never grow a large, spongy, bland eggplant again.

Japanese Cucumbers (Soo Yoo and un-named) are sweeter and more flavorful than any others we have tried. You know it's good when people at a meeting are eating cucumber slices instead of Cheetohs and fudge brownies!

Renee

o
RE: 2010 Garden Report...so far...

Your Windsor garden sounds well managed and productive. The lack of summer heat this "summer" may be leading you think fall is upon us. Some of your planting NOW may be premature. We could still have two months of REAL summer. Everything here in the gardens of the Napa Valley area is about a month behind normal. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here