Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cyumickey

kentia palm - full sun or houseplant?

cyumickey
17 years ago

Hi!

Do you think that a kentia palm would fare well in sunset 18, full sun? thanks!

Comments (13)

• catkim
    17 years ago

The Howea forsteriana is cold hardy to about 26F and prefers filtered light or partial shade when young; can grow into sun. Where are you located? Humidity and wind can be a factor in how good they look, also adequate water, good drainage, and fertilizer. Although I live in an ideal climate for kentias, I see a lot of starved-looking palms around.

• cyumickey
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks! I live in riverside county...

it gets pretty windy and hot out here, and it would be in full sun as our backyard is south facing...

• labrahamian
    17 years ago

Not a chance for full sun in Riverside County. Full sun could be achieved in milder more humid climates OVER TIME. Kentia's and their cousin Howea belloramea (sp?) at times need years to aclimate to full sun conditions; in the meantime they will look fried.

• catkim
    17 years ago

I agree, those hot winds and full sun will quickly do them in. I recommend you choose a different palm. If you are determined to grow palms, it can certainly be done, and you do have many more choices than the ubiquitous and rough-looking Washingtonia. For more information, please look into the International Palm Society on the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: International Palm Society

• kerrican2001
    17 years ago

I also agree -- I've seen kentias get fried in the coastal valleys of SD for the first several years until acclimated. They like either cool sun or warm shade, but not the blistering, dry heat of Riverside County. They seem to do really well, for example, in the coastal Bay Area (that palm nursery off 580 in Point Richmond, for example, grows tons of them in full sun, but it's nice and cool there). I'd recommend either queen palms or, if you like that really tropical look like the kentias, king palms, which will tolerate more sun but also have a bit of trouble in your heat.

• cyumickey
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks, that's what we were afraid of. we're not dead set on growing a palm, we just liked the look of the kentia and will consider something similar if it is better suited for our climate.

• labrahamian
    17 years ago

You may have a shot with Cyphoenix elegans; kinda looks like a Kentia but with a crownshaft. If you could just protect it until it matures and some wind protection it may work out. Perhaps even Dypsis baronii or as mentioned earlier the King Palm

• bahia
    17 years ago

You might find it interesting to visit the UC Riverside Botanic Garden and see which palms are doing best locally, that come closest to the look of the Kentia. Since I have no real experience with Inland Empire growing conditions, I can't speak from experience. I can say that both King Palms and Kentias, although they will handle heat and full sun when well established, look better here in cool San Francisco Bay gardens when not subjected to 100F summers, hot winds and low humidity. Foliage on both will usually get bleached out yellow and/or burn under such fortunately rare conditions here. Would you consider Phoenix reclinata, or Butia capitata, or Brahea armata or B. brandegeei? All a different look, I know, but all of these handle full sun and hot winds with no problems.

• inang
    15 years ago

My 20year old plus kentias and kings always get fried during summer. I live inland zone 9.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    15 years ago

If you are determined to grow them there I would A: Plant in a grove of 3-5 plants together.That seem's to help the sunscald problem. And B: put on a high watering schedule-forever!

• Central_Cali369
    15 years ago

I have one in sunset zone 9 (interior central valley). It gets up to the 100s often for days and weeks on end. Mine is in an eastern exposure and gets morning sun, but gets shaded by a tree fern and a nearby queen palm for the rest of the day. So i think that stanofh has hit the nail. Although i don't think that a heavy watering schedule is necessary. My sprinkler system goes on 10 times a week for two minutes each time (a total of 20 minutes a week).

{{gwi:52535}}

• PWOODSTEELER65_MSN_COM
    13 years ago

I JUST BOUGHT 5 KENTIAS AND ALSO LIVE I RIVERSIDE COUNTY, I PLANTED 2 IN MY GARDEN SO FAR.SO FAR SO GOOD BUT ITS NOT HOT YET. PLANNING ON BUILDING AN ARBOR TO BLOCK SOME LIGHT AND HAVE IRRIGATION TUBES TO DEEP WATER. I LOVE THESE TREES. WISH ME LUCK... WILL IT WORK??? IF THEY DIE, WHAT CAN I USE INSTEAD THAT LOOKS GOOD NEXT TO A WATERFALL?