Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patmonk

tomatoes in the fog.

patmonk
13 years ago

I keep playing Richie Havens "Here Comes The Sun", but it aint working. San Francisco is really sun-starved this year. More climate change ?. Any suggestions on how to promote a decent crop this year. Some ripening, but real slow.

Comments (9)

• sffog
    13 years ago

no suggestions but i know exactly how you feel, i have the same problem, my tomato plants are rotting from dampness.my rose buds are lumps of mildew, but the pea pods are thriving
    WE NEED SUNSHINE

• mlevie
    13 years ago

Same down in Pacifica. I'm just now starting to get a few small tomatoes. Next year I think I'm going to try that red sheeting, supposedly the reflected red light is good for tomato plants.

• dicot
    13 years ago

I want a bumper sticker that says, "Down With Upwelling!"

I was looking up info about the currents driving this extended marine layer and found this frightening info about ocean hypoxia in the Pacific in this month's issue of Nature. It's not causing the fog, but it seems to be linked to a change in CA and OR upwelling patterns too.

Here is a link that might be useful: ocean hypoxia

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

We are in a normally warm summer area, but this year our warmest weather was in June. My Early Girl tomatoes are ripening everyday but they are smaller than usual. For working in the garden, the weather is ideal. Al

• ladybugsmom192
    13 years ago

will i ever eat a tomato?!? at this point, i'm desperate for even a half ripe one. i planted the darned things at the beginning of may - romas, sweet 100s, and yellow pears - have tons of fruit, with even more coming, they're thriving! just no ripening. well, i guess i shouldn't beat up on them, they can't help it. i'm in north western coco county, hercules/franklin canyon to be exact, and we've been socked in solid til at least noon, EVERY DAY for the last week and a half.

my broccoli, cabbage and the one lone romaine lettuce experiment are thriving. my bell peps are looking like "whuh happend?". i guess there's no rushing mother nature.

cue: exasperated sigh.....

angela

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    13 years ago

The T-crop has been bad all over. I'm getting a few fruits of good taste..but not like last year when we had almost more than we could eat. Peppers ? -like growing them indoors in winter..puny.
    The amount of water saved is incredible. AC? haven't used it yet this year.

• dicot
    13 years ago

I can't really complain too much, our new bed on the south-facing wall suited the sweet 100s and Gardener's Delight and with this glary pic from distance, you can't see the powdery mildew and septoria that keep me hand-picking branches daily. But we have had hundreds of ripe cherries, even if the cherokee purple and mortgage lifter never took off.

{{gwi:551683}}

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    13 years ago

Dicot-I had a cherry or plum tomato plant last year in an almost identical looking spot..and turned out to be the largest tomato plant I ever grew. And it was a self sown plant that year. It found water someplace.

• patmonk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

THANK YOU ALL