Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
short, hedges

Posted by BJB73 92009 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 19:41

I need short hedges for a French Mediterranean look in my tiny front yard.They will either frame a parterre or be in rows. Large urns will have the seasonal color needed.
Other than boxwood, what would you recommend for the shade? It does get seasonal sun in early morning and late afternoon.
I would prefer a solid look rather than variegated foliage.
The shortest hedge will be about 12-18" tall and wide. The largest needs to be no more than 2.5' tall and wide.
I am hoping for a variety of greens - light to dark. I need 3-4 types that will look good next to or in front of one another.
Please help. I really appreciate your advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: short, hedges

I don't understand your zone.
Where are you?

o

I have seen a very attractive small hedge done with rosemary in a commercial setting around a coffee cafe here in the Napa valley. Al

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 20:06

92009 looks like zip code for Carlsbad, coastal San Diego.

Petite little shrubs Euyonymous japonicus 'Microphyllus' is quite reliable. Nice that it is a slow grower-less maintenance for you. Boxwood, of course--there are some dwarfy versions, though it gets yellowy at certain times of the year--closer to the coast it is better--how close are you? Common myrtle, Myrtus communis, sweetly fragrant foliage, love that plant. Slow grower, you can keep it that small, and it is extremely tough and drought tolerant. If you are really close to the coast, some of the Hebes make a lovely short hedge, but away from the immediate coast they are not happy.

More informal--Dwarf lavenders are nice--heavenly fragrance--avoid the full-sized ones, they are too big for your purpose.

o

I have a very short hedge of Iberis Sempervivium.. It is pretty in bloom and looks nice just green. I agree with Hoovb about common myrtle.

o

There's a "dwarf" common myrtle, and I really love mine. I also grow the Euyonymous, and it has a nice dark green leaf and stays small. The boxwood seems to turn yellow here.
Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here