Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which Avocado?

Posted by mandyd S. Cal 23 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 08 at 21:27

I just moved to a new home in San Juan Capistrano in OC about a mile from the ocean. I love avocados and want to plant at least one tree. I need to make a choice between 3 different kinds but I am so confused! I don't want a tree that is going to become so huge that I have to spend a lot of time pruning. Which one would you choose?

Reed or Haas or Dwarf Holiday? How tall & wide does each tree grow?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which Avocado?

• Posted by mikey SoCA-Z10-22/23 (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 5, 08 at 16:39

I live in north Orange County. I too was concerned about size so I planted a Gwen avocado about 12 years ago. Gwen is a semi-dwarf variety that has topped out at about 13-15' high. I keep the diameter spread to about 7' with minor pruning. Gwen is similar in appearance, taste and texture to Hass, but slightly larger and it remains green when ripe. The tree produces well and last year I had to give some of the fruit away to friends. - Mike

o

In my opinion, Fuerte is the best tasting avocado. Only reason it isn't seen in the stores anymore is that the Haas and its leathery skin make it a better shipper and the fact that Haas bears every year as opposed alternate years as does the Fuerte, but the texture and taste of the Haas simply can't measure up to the Fuerte.

Have never seen avocados (except for the Bacon) larger than the beautiful Fuertes which grew in my backyard in Long Beach. My father had to do the graft several times before it took and he never lived to see the tree bear.

o

Hass. At least in my yard, the Hass produces. We ripped out the Fuerte after five unproductive years. I don't like Reed, and I have never tried Dwarf Holiday, but I agree with the others that Gwen, Fuerte and Hass are the best tasting avos still in production.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here