Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beaumontia grandiglora..any pics?

Posted by stanofh (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 21:51

One vine I always wanted to try was the Easter Lilly vine, B.grandiflora. And when people here ask about vines,this one is never mentioned. I remember an OLD Sunset magazine with a photo of one growing over some Victorian porch in Santa Rosa..a chilly climate for subtropicals..and it was thriving at the time.
Anybody have color pics of it in YOUR garden? lol...it was that old...

This post was edited by stanofh on Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 21:52

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beaumontia grandiglora..any pics?

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 20:03

photo UCI6795.jpg

Not mine. This is a big one at the UCI Botanic Garden.

There used to be a huge one around the block from my Mom & Dad's house. The vines at the base were tree-trunk sized.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 22:39

It does grow and bloom here, if given full sun. I've got one in a client's garden in Alameda that is covering a two story wall, and there's a good blooming specimen at the back/parking lot side of the Hall of Flowers building admin entry at the SFBG. I seriously doubt a Beaumontia grandiflora would survive outdoors year round in Santa Rosa, as it dips below 27/28°F every winter up there, and this is too frost sensitive to take getting frozen back each winter. In cooler summer locations, it blooms reluctantly without all day sun.

o

Is it Solandra maxima like? Or more loose? A white flowering vine seems to be more comfortable over the long haul then those with vibrant colors. I might just be getting older-lol.

o

Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 0:20

Foliage can be dense in full sun with low water, to much larger foliage well spaced on long lianas if grown softer with some shade. I like the deep green veined foliage even without flowers, which are gorgeous and fragrant.

o

Thanks..looking good Hoov. I hope the nurseries bring back a forgotten oldie.

o

I have never seen one. I wonder if they grow from cuttings, like Cup of Gold vine?

o

Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 0:06

Available from wholesalers such as San Marcos Growers in Santa Barbara, and several others down south.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 15:20

It's a vine that gets big but also very heavy. The stems get really big. It needs room and a very strong support.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here