Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you grow with Iris?

Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 22:13

I planted some tall bearded Iris in raised boxes in the spring as a temporary holding place until I plant them in the garden this fall. We have amended clay soil and a variety of beds (sunny, morning sun, afternoon sun).

What plants do you mix with your bearded Iris?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you grow with Iris?

In my previous home I had a large front corner area. It had trees and some barberry in it. In the front of the rock bed I planted spring bulbs and behind those iris. Out to the sides my husband added grasses, so we had a good seasonal flow.
Can't seem to post both pix at once, so I'll post the other in a moment.

o

another view of the group

o

Heh heh. You asked for it, Jenn!
Roses, bulb lilies, pelargoniums, agaves, ranuculus, Diamond Dust Euphorbia, lamb's ear, aloes, echeverias, oxalis, sea holly, columbines, agapanthus, dianthus, brugmansia, nasturtiums, paludosum daisies, catmint, geraniums, alstroemeria, cosmos, red flax, larkspur, elegant clarkia, poppies, amaranth, Japanese blood grass, acorus, bunny tails, and shrubs- all kinds of shrubs- including Little John Callistemon, coleonema, dwarf common myrtle, arborvitae, bridal wreath spirea, dwarf euonymus, oh- and golden sage, thyme, golden oregano, and rosemary. My mom plants limonium, sea thrift, purple oxalis, feverfew, watsonia, and dahlias as well.

I also grow coneflowers, daylilies, clematis, cannas, callas, and foxgloves with mine, but these plants require an extra drink of water with the hose twice a week and will be the first to go in the next drought.

Renee

o

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 1:28

I have both evergreen and deciduous bearded iris. They grow almost anywhere but really won't flower well without good sun exposure. One patch of deciduous iris comes up every year through a mat of evergreen iberis.

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 12:15

Thank you! Quiltnhen: What beautiful, vivid colors! And I love the stone wall. Renee: Haha, I knew you'd have a few suggestions. :-)

The reason I ask: I've read they should be grown in a sunny area with plants that don't require a lot of water. So, it seems that our clay soil + thirsty plants would be the death of Iris.

How do you divide your Iris without disturbing the roots of nearby plants?

And, in clay soil, should I build a mound on top of the soil and plant in that?

o

I put them on a bit of a mound. I haven't had trouble disturbing the roots of other plants when I divide. Iris roots are shallow. I water twice a week, and they do okay.
Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here