Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Those muggy California summers. One.

Posted by stanofh (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 22:32

This one. I've never felt such a long run of warm and moisture in near 6 decades of living here. Rains even. A spritz maybe..but lots of clouds and haze..and warm. Summer clouds in the bay area are mostly fog and chill..except this summer.
Now,this has happened before for a few days at most..but not weeks almost non stop.
At least plants aren't as stressed for water with the humid air. What this means for winter is anybody's guess.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Those muggy California summers. One.

It's been gorgeous today, but more humidity's on the way. UGH !

o

You know, Stan, I really don't remember having this kind of odd humid summer weather in S. California (Orange Country) growing up as a kid. We would on very rare occasion, get a summer thunderstorm which I'm sure was "monsoon" in nature. But nothing like what we have been experiencing since I moved back in 2009. And, there is significant speculation that we will have an El Nino weather condition this winter, as indicated by the two back to back hurricanes/tropical storms getting ready to hit Hawaii today and this week. Very odd weather patterns, but, it does allow me to grow more tropical plants that I would not have been able to have so much success with, in past years/decades.

Patty S.

o

Down here in the Inland Empire we've had a pretty normal summer - until a few weeks ago. We got the usual 'June Gloom' in July and it's crept through into August as well.
Hoosierquilt is right about the El Nino forecast. We were looking at a cold, wet autumn and winter, but now we're expected to have a mild El Nino winter, which is fine for us in drought stricken areas. Bring it on!

o

We need a good winter of snow in the mountains. This biblical running out of water thing...cant be four years in a row?.
And if we are in a 500 year long drought? Jerry better get going on the desalination plants pronto. Electric cars came out of a demand...water is about 10,000,000 times more important!

o

• Posted by slowjane LA CA USDA10-Sunset (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 15:33

Yes, the muggy weather has been miserable here in LA....glad to hear I'm not alone in feeling like it's very unusual - we moved a year ago and I keep wondering if it's being over a small hill that's made the difference. But I think this mugginess is really atypical.

And yes, let's hope for winter rain!!

o

Here where DRY summers are the norm, a foggy morning slows down the ultimute high temp of the afternoon. This year the combination of high heat AND high humidity is depressing. Al

o

• Posted by slowjane LA CA USDA10-Sunset (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 19:27

yes i agree calistoga, depressing. reminds me of massachusetts in the summer. i should clarify that i've been in la for about ten years - our move was just a bit into the valley. don't remember it ever feeling like this. june gloom isn't supposed to be hot! ....or last through august....

o

Jane, I was going to say the exact same thing - reminds me of Maryland! Truly - I NEVER remember this kind of weather growing up as a kid. Such odd weather that now appears to be our norm - "Monsoon" summer weather. WTH!?!

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here