Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tibouchina urvilleana

Posted by rswcpa 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 6, 10 at 23:48

The Tibouchina urvilleana in my front yard is one of the reasons I bought my house. It is glorious - a real eye-catcher. At least 6-1/2 feet tall, with a beautiful shape. Tonight when I came home, though, I found half of it on my front lawn. I'm heartbroken. I just found a USDA fact sheet that describes it as "susceptible to breakage at the crotch due to poor collar formation". Now I'm not sure what to do. Do I dig it up and plant a new one? Cut it back and hope it reshapes itself? Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tibouchina urvilleana

I think you can save it. I would not dig it up. Al

o
RE: Tibouchina urvilleana

It will probably sent up new shoots from the roots. A few winters ago all of the tibs here were frozen back to the ground. A friend of mine tried to pullt the roots out with his pick-up with little success.

It sprouted many new shoots from those roots (some of which were the size of my leg and grew under the house right below the woodstove) and it grew to be a nice size again for several years until getting frozen back last winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here