Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdmasek

Propagating Brunfelsia? Any hints?

tuesdayschild
17 years ago

Hi folks,

I've got 4 brunfelsias, 2 in pots 2 in nasty clay soil, all doing very well. I'm thinking I'd like to underplant some of my shady side hedges in them (since I'm dang tired of filling in with annuals in the bone-deep shade area, but would still like some nice color in there).

Does anyone have any experience in propagting brunfelsia from leaf or from twig? If so, what did you do? Any hints would be much appreciated-- these things are pretty darn expensive in the pot (since I can't seem to find anything under a gallon). I'd love to try to do it the homegrown way and I'm guessing I'm heading into the right season to do something. Thanks!

Comments (5)

• bahia
    17 years ago

Plants like Brunfelsia would typically be propagated from soft wood cuttings taken in summer, and rooted in perlite or vermiculite or sand in light shade with the humidity kept up, and dipped in rooting hormone. If your temps stay into the 60's this time of year, it may still be useful to try.

I wonder that you think one gallon plants are too expensive? Even at the retail price of $9 a gallon at better well stocked nurseries, as things cost up here in the SF Bay Area, that doesn't seem extreme to me,(particularly if you are only buying a couple of plants). Maybe everyone has become too accustomed to lost leader prices of the same old typical plants as found at discount places such as Walmart or Home Depot...

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    17 years ago

Some of us old codgers get spoiled by yard sales and do not appreciate the time and labor required to propagate and grow a plant to gallon size. Yesterday I was able to buy an electric stair climber for my house from an estate sale for $100. On the way home I bought two new one gallon plants from a local propagating nursery for his regular price of $8 each. Both were good buys. Al

• bahia
    17 years ago

Al, I know the feeling of why spend more money than necessary, but I also agree with you that nurseries have to make a living selling a perishable product, and deserve to make a profit, as it is not an easy business. I wonder why people don't think a bouquet of cut roses is too expensive, when a live plant will last so much longer...

• tuesdayschild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, I lost track of this one... here it is 3 years later and I forgot to say thanks bahia for the tips.

By the by... if I were paying those prices for them, I'd be happy to buy many, many more but I'm paying $29 for a single gallon plant. I bought 4. I do think I contributed to a reasonable profit! :-)

• HU-924139618
    4 years ago

After reading these comments, I had to go back and look at the date. After living in the Bay Area several years ago, and knowing how pricey everything is, I was wondering where y’all were finding one gallon pots of anything at a nursery for $8-$9. I just bought a one gallon Brunfelsia at a discount nursery for $24.95. I am trying to propagate some cuttings for my daughter-in-la, using the plastic bag hothouse method. If anyone knows any secrets, I’d appreciate hearing them.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm