Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittymoonbeam

Anyone tired of watering right now?

kittymoonbeam
10 years ago

The heat seems to go on and on. Usually its just a stretch of a few days and then there's a break. I feel like I'm endlessly watering right now. I even got out the plastic chair and an umbrella today and sat down for a bit while I held the hose. I feel burned out and want to break it into morning and evening but the plants do best with morning water to face the heat. I finally put lots of pots in the shade to keep them from drying out so fast.

Comments (9)

• doginthegarden
    10 years ago

I hear ya. It's hard to balance watering in the heat, enough to keep them going, then oops too much and they're soggy. I have shade cloth over the beds and am thinking tomorrow I may shade some beans that normally would enjoy the sun. They're calling for especially hot weather over next few days, will probably be 105+.
    sb

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    10 years ago

Yes, every year at this time! Min

• socks
    10 years ago

Tired of gardening, weeding, clipping, watering, feeding...the whole thing! I always feel enthused in the spring, weary of it all by this time of year. We have quite a few weeks of heat ahead of us, definitely the "dog days of summer."

I transplanted 3 coral bells, and they are doing fine. Put some sedum in too.

• peachymomo
    10 years ago

Very tired, I keep swearing that I'll get irrigation installed before the next dry season but it always seems like too large a chore or to high a price. We asked a friend to help with the work in the garden and she left a hose running full bore on one of the fruit trees over night, causing a minor flood and the pump from the well to run dry. *sigh* I guess it's really true that if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    10 years ago

Tired of seeing water seeping up in the street from a water main leak when I called them 8 days ago...we'll get to it was their response.

• OregonGrape
    10 years ago

Plant drought-tolerant natives (ceanothus, manzanita, salvia, penstemon, diplacus, etc.) and you won't have this problem.

• CA Kate z9
    10 years ago

I have my vegetables in pots that dry out quickly in this weather, so I frequently have to water twice a day. If I didn't love the fresh produce out my side door I wouldn't bother.

• realityfaery
    10 years ago

Me too and good to know there is going to be another heat wave, I'll have to keep an eye on the new hibiscus we planted two weekends ago. Plus we were planning on making a new flower bed in the back corner of the yard...may have to put those plans on hold.

We finally got smart and started to put irrigation lines in one of the flower beds, our next project is to extend it around the yard. Most of my pots are in shade, so they have been lucky in the summer heat.

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My best friend just got called away to work on a movie overseas so now I'm watering at his place too! I'll be wearing one of the camelbak packs before long.