Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Climbing Plant for Front of House

Posted by sarzp 22/23 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 19, 12 at 0:38

I'm going to repaint my house and would like to replace the potato vine as it's looking rather scrappy and woody (it was doing much better when this photo was taken). The front of the house is West facing. I originally went for the potato vine because I was told that it attaches to the trellis and so doesn't damage the stucco and in that respect it is good. I would love to find something evergreen and would really appreciate your input! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Climbing Plant for Front of House

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 16:17

I've noticed with any edit and re-preview of a post, the image photo vanishes. Can you repost the photo?

o

I just reposted it. THANKS!

o

Star Jasmine! Trachelospermum jasminoides. Dark glossy green leaves year round, white flowers, heavenly scent, and no hooks or feet to attach to your new paint.
I love your hedge.
Renee

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 12:01

You have a beautiful home.

Besides star jasmine you might also look at Beaumontia grandiflora, which has enormous white flowers, Cup of Gold vine, Solandra maxima, which has enormous yellow flowers, or you may just want to try cutting back your potato vine hard and giving it some good hits of fertilizer, and it may grow back fresh and beautiful. Some of the Bignonias might work.

Keep in mind, in general cutting vines down to the ground every few years when they start looking ratty and letting them all grow back fresh and beautiful is a good strategy for renewal. Not every vine can take that, but many can.

o

I just returned some star jasmine I was contemplating because I found the fragrance gave me a headache. So do consider that if it's planted on your house the fragrance will waft in windows - some people may love that but some are allergic to it.

Bougainvillea would look really pretty on your house, but like most vines it's better to keep on top of trimming it. And beware the thorns!

o

Thanks SO much for the great suggestions! I adore star jasmine so may go with that but now I'm looking at pictures I'm also loving the Beaumontia grandiflora and Solandra maxima. They're a bit more original. Will post pics with the final decision! Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here