Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what soil combo for new raised bed

Posted by lindsey5809 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 0:47

Hi there,
We have a new raised bed and I am planning on planting vegetables in there, starting with some fall ones. Can you recommend a soil mix that we can get (Home Depot is where we are going). What % of things? We have no ground soil we can use, so cost is a factor but we also want good stuff for organic gardening.
about 35 cubic feet.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what soil combo for new raised bed

35 cubic feet is more than a yard of soil. To buy that much by the bag seems a bad idea, and also from Home Depot. My local landscape supply has over ten soil selections to choose depending on your use. I regularly buy one for potting which is probably their most expensive one at $50 a yard. Most of us have a friend with a pickup we can borrow if we don't want to pay a delivery charge. See what is available where you live. Al

o
RE: what soil combo for new raised bed

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 15:57

You can probably find some real soil for free via Craig's List, you just have to be real picky and look for good stuff, not stuff full of weeds, bermuda grass, and rocks. Many people desperate to get rid of soil from remodeling projects, and some of it perfectly good (not all of it!!!).

The amendment industry is doing everything it can to convince people that native soil is no good to plant in, but guess what all our commercial fruits and veggies and grains grow in? It ain't the bagged stuff.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here