Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tessiess

Crabapple tree from mid 1960s in Southern California

Back in the mid 1960s I had my horses at a stable in Chino, CA, and on the property was the most wonderful crabapple tree. I would love to find out what it might have been. It was a fully mature tree then and produced bumper crops of fruit! We kids loved to climb that tree and pick the crabapples and eat them. We also shared with our horses, who adored these crabapples too. They were yellow, with perhaps a bit of red blush on them, but mostly yellow as I recall (but it has been A LONG time). They were small, so maybe about 1" to 1 1/2" in diameter. They were also quite crisp and very sour.

Some years ago I went to a local nursery, hoping to find this tree. They had a number of crabapple trees, but none were like this one. I even remember trying the fruit on several. Blah tasting--too bland. One I remember the name of was Transcendent, but it was kind of mealy and also blah to my taste. I gave up. But now I'd like to try again.

So does anyone have an idea of possible crabapple varieties? Something that must have been developed long enough ago to have been mature in the mid 1960s and also something that didn't mind the heat of inland Southern California and still produced lots of sour fruits.

Melissa

Comments (6)