Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lizard poop pic for leahcate

Posted by hosenemesis SoCal Sunset 19 USDA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 1:44

I have found it useful to know my poop.

Why? For years, I blamed cats for messing on my roof until I discovered it was oppossums. Cats are always taking the rap for roof poop, and it's not even theirs.

I was hoping to include photos of rat poop as well, but the rat in our ceiling may have met his maker in the trap I set, because no new rat droppings have appeared on my living room carpet. I'll try to get some photos after we peel off the crown molding to remove the remains.

I scoured my potting sink area for the remains of my potato vine after it has gone through a hornworm, but they must have all turned into moths by now.

So all I have for you today is the droppings of Lloyd Bridges (Mike names all of the lizards) and baby oppossum poop.

Fence Lizard:
Photobucket

Baby Oppossum, after dining on my Stupice tomatoes:
Photobucket

Please feel free to post your poop identification pics on this thread. I would like to see what comes out of a katydid, so I could distinguish it from caterpillar frass on my roses.

Renee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lizard poop pic for leahcate

• Posted by wcgypsy 10 / Sunset 23 (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 10:50

It all goes so well with my morning coffee...lol..

o

I have been blaming the birds for what the lizards are leaving this whole, Thank you!

o

• Posted by chadinlg zone 9%3B Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 19, 11 at 13:36

The first one also looks like rats..

o

Exactly, Chad. The only difference between a large fence lizard poop and a rat turd is the white stuff at the end of the lizard poop. It looks just like a cross between a rat and a bird poop.

o

• Posted by chadinlg zone 9%3B Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 19, 11 at 20:53

huh.. I thought the white stuff was just a coincident particle...

I have lots of lizards but haven't noticed any scat...

Amazing how you can Identify the type of tomato... looked like Prudens Poople to me...

o

"Prudens Poople."
Groan!

o

Living in the woods as we do, we have plenty of samples, but my interest is limited to not stepping in it. Al

o

As promised, more poop.

The first photo shows the droppings from a relatively small hornworm. If you look carefully, you will note that they look like tiny hand grenades. Just the right size for GI Joe when I was a kid. Some people think they look more like short, tiny, brown cobs of corn. Those people played with the little tiny GI Joes that came out in the 80s, I guess.

Photobucket

Here is a nice comparative shot of Lloyd Bridges lizard leavings to the upper left, adolescent rat scat to the lower left, and hornworm grenades at the top right.

Photobucket

By the way, the flowers of red trumpet flowers, campsis radicans, make great campfires for GI Joe.

Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here