Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
likeeww

If we make fence taller, our neighbors window will be blocked ..

likeeww
12 years ago

From view of our house... The "genius" who built it decided to place a window directly looking over the fence (the house is like ridiculously close to the block fence and they have perfect view of our backyard, can they complain to city if we block their view by building a privacy screen since we have issues with these people , . Anyways we are not doing it out of spite but after catching the 23 yr old son hiding near fwy underpass with a camera and a backpack, taking pictured of me while I gardened ( he had to tresspass onto the freeway underpass since I was gardening away from where they have cameras recording our pool backyard area (and this made me realize they are seriously stalking us and really sick,.. Ugh

Anyways please someone intelligent Or insightful answer my question thank you :)

Comments (8)

• likeeww
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pictures*

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

Most cities will have a limit to the height of any fence, usually six feet. You can grow a screen higher however. Check with your city before spending the money. Al

• bahia
    12 years ago

While there are restrictions on fence heights, there are usually none regarding plantings as screens adjacent sideyard fences. There are plenty of dense growing shrubs that could be planted as a narrow evergreen hedge to block views. It sounds like all you need is an additional 3 to 4 feet above fence height. Look into choices such as Podocarpus spp's, Pittosporum tenuifolium cultivars or P. eugenoides, Tecomaria capensis, Grewia cafra, or some of the smaller clumping bamboos such as Alphonse Karr bamboo. If you only need an additional 18" or so of height for screening, you could use vines in combination with a wire mesh concrete reinforcing wire secured to the wall and extended 18 inches above it, which would allow any dense evergreen vine/scandent shrub to climb up it and block their view into your yard. There are lots of additional vines you could use, depending on the sun exposure and your local climate zone.

• dak56
    12 years ago

Plants can be poisoned. Why not contact the city directly and ask about legal fence heights. Then plant a screen in front of it.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Anyways we are not doing it out of spite but after catching the 23 yr old son hiding near fwy underpass with a camera and a backpack, taking pictured of me while I gardened ( he had to tresspass onto the freeway underpass since I was gardening away from where they have cameras recording our pool backyard area (and this made me realize they are seriously stalking us and really sick,.. Ugh

I'd be calling the police first. Not 911, the office number. Ask to file a written complaint. Get your complaint recorded so there is a WRITTEN record on file with the police.

Then the following. You need screening immediately. Like today. I'd do a temporary screen right away, then work on a more permanent one. I'd get a piece of plywood and secure it so it blocks the offending window. Now. Today. Make it neat. Paint it the same color as the wall. Place it so it is straight, tidy and not hanging over the neighbor's side.

If the neighbor's complain, refer them to the police report you filed. If the city complains, refer them to the police report you filed.

Then you can go one of two ways. A screening shrub, or a trellis with a vine on it.

Check with your city to see if it would be legal to put a section of wrought-iron fencing on the top of that block wall. If it is, do that (get the style with spikes on the top), then grow a vine like star jasmine on the wrought iron. Until the jasmine gets established and growing, use a piece of outdoor fabric neatly attached to the wrought iron as a screen blocking the window. Take photographs to show it is neat, tidy, and on your side of the fence. Make sure everything is on your side of the fence. If there is any damage, take photographs of it and call the police and ask to file another written complaint.

The other approach would be shrubbery. Ligustrum japonicum (available at any home depot or lowes) is fast, tough, and makes a DENSE screen that you can't see through. It would need trimming, but it's fairly easy, and won't cause you the problems that a tree would. Leave the plywood in place until the Ligustrum has grown enough to be a screen. A less common plant that makes a fast dense hedge is Silverberry, Elaeagnus commutata. This is good because it has sharp thorns that will discourage your peeper from trying to paw through it.

Another alternative would be 'Skyrocket' Junipers, a number of them planted closely together. They are inexpensive and fast. Don't use Italian cypress, because they can get very big, and are not as fast. Find 'Skyrocket' Juniper.

Good luck! Remember to document everything and every time you are harassed, with date and time. Write everything down. If you have friends over and the problem occurs, write down who was with you, and what occurred, the date and time. A written record with photos and witnesses will help you protect yourself.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    12 years ago

there is no law against building a tall trellis or gazebo in your yard a little distance away from the fence. if you have the room that might be a solution.

hoovb has given you excellent advice. what creepy neighbors you have! min

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I third hoovb and min.
    Renee

• likeeww
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They are def. Creepy... I dont have any videos of the window but search up thehellnextdoor on youtube to see what i caught them doing,.
    Hoovb... Will u marry me? Jk :) but i wish i had you in my family, you would put them in their place for their pervasion of our privacy! :)