Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2princesses_gw

Landscape design suggestions please :-)

2princesses
11 years ago

I live in a new development in Santa Clarita California. I'm posting some photos of the entrance to my community in hopes that someone here may have some landscape design suggestions. I think the landscaping is so boring. The board of directors would be more incline to agree with landscape upgrades if the plants chosen were perennials. I just joined the landscape committee a few months ago. All suggestions are welcome and appreciated. I think our community needs more color. :-) There is another large planter to the left of this planter that has jerusalem sage, blue salvia and agave in it already just in case that helps anyone come up with suggestions that would work with those plants being so close by. Thanks!

Comments (2)

• 2princesses
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I live in a new development in Santa Clarita California. I'm posting some photos of the entrance to my community in hopes that someone here may have some landscape design suggestions. I think the landscaping is so boring. The board of directors would be more incline to agree with landscape upgrades if the plants chosen were perennials. I just joined the landscape committee a few months ago. All suggestions are welcome and appreciated. I think our community needs more color. :-) There is another large planter to the left of this planter that has jerusalem sage, blue salvia and agave in it already just in case that helps anyone come up with suggestions that would work with those plants being so close by. Thanks!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

You are in an arid area, is there ANY reason for the lawn?

Lawn is cheap--super cheap--to install, and very expensive to maintain in terms of mowing, watering, fertilizing, weeding. The developer put in the cheapest thing possible for himself, and left you homeowners with the expensive part.

Unless children are playing out there or people are eating lunch out there on the grass or having parties out there, there's no reason to waste the HOA money on lawn.

Find a professional garden designer with an excellent reputation for drought-tolerant, low maintenance plantings, and (in the long run) save yourself and your fellow homeowners thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars in water bills and maintenance, not to mention savings on the pollution from mow/blow machines and the imported gasoline to run those machines.

If the initial cost is high, plan a gradual migration from what you have to low-water, low maintenance plants.

You have a large area to work with. Hire a professional. Look at some of the designs of bahia who often posts on this forum. He does fantastic work.