Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Landscape design suggestions please :-)

Posted by 2princesses none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 5:07

I live in a new development in Santa Clarita California. I'm posting some photos of the entrance to my community in hopes that someone here may have some landscape design suggestions. I think the landscaping is so boring. The board of directors would be more incline to agree with landscape upgrades if the plants chosen were perennials. I just joined the landscape committee a few months ago. All suggestions are welcome and appreciated. I think our community needs more color. :-) There is another large planter to the left of this planter that has jerusalem sage, blue salvia and agave in it already just in case that helps anyone come up with suggestions that would work with those plants being so close by. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Landscape design suggestions please :-)

I live in a new development in Santa Clarita California. I'm posting some photos of the entrance to my community in hopes that someone here may have some landscape design suggestions. I think the landscaping is so boring. The board of directors would be more incline to agree with landscape upgrades if the plants chosen were perennials. I just joined the landscape committee a few months ago. All suggestions are welcome and appreciated. I think our community needs more color. :-) There is another large planter to the left of this planter that has jerusalem sage, blue salvia and agave in it already just in case that helps anyone come up with suggestions that would work with those plants being so close by. Thanks!

o
RE: Landscape design suggestions please :-)

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 16:59

You are in an arid area, is there ANY reason for the lawn?

Lawn is cheap--super cheap--to install, and very expensive to maintain in terms of mowing, watering, fertilizing, weeding. The developer put in the cheapest thing possible for himself, and left you homeowners with the expensive part.

Unless children are playing out there or people are eating lunch out there on the grass or having parties out there, there's no reason to waste the HOA money on lawn.

Find a professional garden designer with an excellent reputation for drought-tolerant, low maintenance plantings, and (in the long run) save yourself and your fellow homeowners thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars in water bills and maintenance, not to mention savings on the pollution from mow/blow machines and the imported gasoline to run those machines.

If the initial cost is high, plan a gradual migration from what you have to low-water, low maintenance plants.

You have a large area to work with. Hire a professional. Look at some of the designs of bahia who often posts on this forum. He does fantastic work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here