Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bittermelon in zone 9?

Posted by projectcop 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 5:12

Hi folks;
I have recently found that bittermelon really helps keep my blood sugar numbers down. I would like to grow bittermelon in my side yard. I have abour 6"X 25' to do this. My wife is growing some in the front yard at work in napa, and they seem to be doing well; though they were started late for the season.
Has anyone here grown these, and if so do you have any tips? Also, is there a specific growing season for these or is this something I can grow year-round?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bittermelon in zone 9?

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 12:52

Subtropical to Tropical, so it wants to stay warm. I would recommend full sun, and reflected heat--reflected heat meaning from nearby light stucco or concrete walls, or concrete pavement--entities that absorb considerable solar heat during the day, and radiate it at night, keeping nearby areas a little warmer than they would otherwise be. If you are considerably inland, with hotter summers and slightly colder winters, frost protection might be needed in winter and more watering required in summer.

Here's an interesting blog entry about cultivation, keep in mind this writer is in India (I think) a more tropical climate, so allow for differences.

Here is a link that might be useful: bitter melon growing

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here