Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2princesses_gw

More landscape design suggestions please

2princesses
11 years ago

I live in a new development in Santa Clarita California. I'm posting some photos of the entrance to my community in hopes that someone here may have some landscape design suggestions. I think the landscaping is so boring. The board of directors would be more incline to agree with landscape upgrades if the plants chosen were perennials. I just joined the landscape committee a few months ago. All suggestions are welcome and appreciated. I think our community needs more color. :-) There is another large planter to the left of this planter that has jerusalem sage, blue salvia and agave in it already just in case that helps anyone come up with suggestions that would work with those plants being so close by. Thanks!

Comments (13)

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    11 years ago

I'm in the SCV as well looks like you are over in Canyon Country...whatever you choose need to make sure is frost/freeze tolerant and can handle the heat to 110.
    Go to Green Thumb in Newhall on San Fernando/Newhall Ave and speak with Dan. Take him your pictures and tell him you have decision power on choices.
    Don't forget you can get variety with textures not just color.
    Perhaps you can convince them to put in daffodils. Will give a welcome spring color at your entrance.

I few things I have for color/texture that frost and heat doesn't bother are:

Sweet pea bush, polygala dalmaisiana

Dwarf Bottlebrush, callistemon citrinus 'little john'

Petite Crape Myrtles (deciduous)

Salvia Greggi

Salvia Hot Lips, salvia microphylla

Bush Germander - strikingly purple when in bloom but needs thinning every other year.

Rock Roses, cistus purpureus, the pink ones are all around the valley

Goodwin Creek Lavender

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Roses work. Bonica, pink, white, or burgundy Iceberg, of course. Bulbs are a mess when they are done blooming- I would not recommend them for a common area. "Little John" is a good choice- it blooms frequently and the red is dark and pretty.

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    11 years ago

No Renee. Bad girl. lol. Please no more icebergs. If I had a dollar for each I've seen around here I'd be retired on an island in the south pacific.

• 2princesses
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! Jim I am in Valencia in the new Lennar community called West Hills. The landscaping here is so unorganized in my opinion. Any suggestions for groundcover? We have a ton of rosemary and it gets too woody looking in my opinion. Im trying to get the board to change it all out. It lines both of the main entrances.

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    11 years ago

Oh Ok I know where that is, but I'm not Jim. lol. The rosemary should have been cut back by now. It will get woody if not cut back. If someone could perhaps thin it a little at time it won't look so bad. But if you chop it all back it won't be nice until next summer. It is drought tolerant and looks nice when taken care of. Some say the bad animals like mice and rats don't like it. With all the hills behind you that probably a good thing you have it. The city uses a lot of myoporum but it will eventually get woody also and much lower in height. I just tore alot of mine out...I didn't cut it back like I should have cuz to steep of an area.

Lennar isn't famous for spending money, so their contractors just do the cheapest they can...typical I guess.

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    11 years ago

Check out the link below. Its a local waterwise garden and learning center. Its sponsored by clwa - our water co.
    Perhaps you can find some nice flowering ideas that will save your development money on watering. They just might go ahead on it. It might not be the best time of year to go but at least you can get plant names and research them more.

Here is a link that might be useful: clwa garden

• 2princesses
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Do u work out here in the SCV gobluejm? The rosemary is so thick. it looks so bad...really. The entire main planter is full of it. How thinned out should it be to stay nice? The HOA is using it for borders Im confused on how much it should have been cut back if that makes sense.

• 2princesses
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am going to visit that clwa tomorrow. I am going to learn as much as I can about landscaping. Probably going to ane companynoy our contracted landscape company. oh well.LOL

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    11 years ago

I live here in SCV but unfortunately I drive out of the valley for work. There is no definate answer really on thinning it. It depends on how thick it is but I meant maybe thinout each plant. Proper maintenance is key. Some perennials should be pruned 1/3 or half to stay nice at least every other year. Your gardeners are most likely just a mow and blow crew and they charge extra for pruning etc and usually do it once or twice a year. But I'm no landscaper. Pick up a Western Garden Book and another great book is Pat Welsh's Southern California Gardening.
    Since its gonna be so hot spend the day at Barnes and Nobles reading. There are tons of websites on socal gardening, plants etc also. Google for them you'll find tons of info and more links to more sites etc.
    Here's an easy one to start with:
    bewaterwise.com
    another for natives is
    laspilitas.com

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

I would drive around town to get ideas about what does well in these situations. The rosemary is really ugly. I would tear it all out.

Certain plants are over-used because they work. The trick is to plant them in a way that is unique and beautiful.

Are trees out because of visibility on the street? Some height would look good in that big area with all of the rosemary. One of the streets here has big huge billowly pink icebergs planted under the ubiquitous pink crape myrtles, and it looks spectacular in bloom.

Another option is to go with succulents, which require less water and are not commonly seen. Dark red kangaroo paws could be planted with big bright green agaves and aloes.
    Renee

• 2princesses
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I agree Renee. The rosemary looks terrible in the planter. Zero idea what the builder was thinking. It is first on the list to go.lol

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    11 years ago

Builders don't think. That's the problem. They put in whatever works easiest and is cheapest. They used the rosemary cuz they didn't want to mow the area.
    I have seen lots of areas with better plants around and more variety not all plain green.
    The problem is you have an HOA.
    LMD- city Land Management District manages most of the areas around town including all along the main drive near your development in which they have put in rows and rows of dwarf bottlebrush. Surely you've seen it. Check out the main intersections in the city also. Some are grass at the curb but further away are nice pretty plants so those could be options also. As Renee asked is height an issue closest to the main road. Even a 3 foot high bush can obstruct views.
    Nothing can stop you from stealing city ideas though.
    Fall is the time for planting just not in this heat.

• 2princesses
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I love this forum. All of you are SO great! :-)

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years