Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Primula Japonica - in Pacifica?

Posted by debra_boston Zone 5 - Boston (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 9:13

Can anyone tell me if Primula Japonica, Miller's Crimson will grow in Pacifica, CA? Pacifica is located on the coast over the hill from SFO. I grow it here in MA in a wet spot and was wondering if I could bring some seeds to a property I own there and try to start some. Here is a photo to show what it looks like alongside the pond we live on 35 miles west of Boston...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Primula Japonica - in Pacifica?

Hi Debra,

I live in Southern California, so I can't really speak for the northern part of the state, but I have never even seen any of these plants in CA.

I suggest looking at the plant choices at a few California nurseries, or buying Pat Welsh's book on Southern California gardening to see some pictures of things that work well here.

Another option is to ask what people in Northern California recommend for flowering plants. Good luck!
Renee

o

ps. I love those colors together.

o

Sure you can grow primula in Pacifica. They will bloom all winter and right into summer. Pacifica has routinely cool weather with no frost, year around. When inland heats up in the summer it draws the fog into the Pacifica area from the nearby pacific ocean. Full sun plants are difficult in Pacifica. Al

o

• Posted by socalgal USDA z10 Sunset z24, (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 8:58

I only have experience with English primroses (mainly Primula x polyantha). In my zone, which has warmer winters than Pacifica, they are grown as winter-blooming annuals, although recently some of mine have survived over the summer.

o

Thanks everyone for the comments. I appreciate it.

I also wanted Al to know I am so happy to see him here on the boards -- as you were one of the first posters I 'spoke' with many eons ago. Glad to see you are still gardening, and better yet, sharing your expertise with all of us.

I bought the seeds and I'll sow them this week!

Deb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here