Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moonflowers in Bay Area

Posted by debra_boston Zone 5 - Boston (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 9:15

Hi guys,

Would like to know if anyone has been able to grow moonflowers, also known as datura, in the Bay Area - specifically Pacifica, CA? Here is a link to show you what they like like...http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-dictionary/annual/moonflower/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moonflowers in Bay Area

Hi there, are you moving to Pacifica from Boston? There is an essential book for western gardeners, by Sunset magazine, called the Sunset Western Garden Book. This will give an accurate climate info for your area and a huge plant guide with local hardiness for each plant.
I live in San Jose, still bay Area, but a very different climate, dryer and hotter than Pacifica. Everyone has datura and brugmansia here. Locally they are usually called Angels Trumpet. They are beautiful, fragrant, and also very poisonous. Also I grow the annual moonflower vine, a fragrant night blooming morning glory relative.
Hope this helps,
Pea

o

Hi PP,
Thanks so much for the posting. Not moving, just sprucing up a rental. I knew datura is poisonous, so maybe not a good choice for my tenant who has a dog that she adores.... Dogs eat anything right? Sheesh. Maybe in
the front, where the dog doesn't roam. If I plant some seeds this week, any idea how long they will take to flower?
Here on the East Coast, I plant them now, and they come up the following summer late in the year from seed. I also start some in the house to get a jump on the short growing season here in 5a. Yes, I am aware that San Jose has a much different climate, you lucky dog! Everything grows there so well! I figure if I plant seeds in Pacifica this week, they may bloom by Christmas? If not, I guess they will come up when they are good and ready! Do you know anything about hardy hibiscus or Primula Japonica? Just thought I'd ask... Thanks so much.

o

Yes-- a neighbor had one right here in Hayward. About 6-7' I think it was. That was about 7-8 years ago.
So,hot summers are not needed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here