Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardy Hibiscus

Posted by debra_boston Zone 5 - Boston (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 9:18

Would like to know if anybody plants hardy hibiscus from seed and when to plant in Bay Area and how long it takes to go from seed to flower? I've got a couple seeds that I'd like to plant in Pacifica, CA and was wondering how long it would take and if any others plant it or use it in their gardens... Here's a link to what it looks like. http://www.americanmeadows.com/hardy-hibiscus

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardy Hibiscus

This doesn't address your question, but I saw a fairly large hibiscus growing around Potrero Hill/Dogpatch here in the city. I think they are propagated fairly easily from cuttings. Maybe that is a faster route for you, unless you have a particular hybrid in mind.

o
RE: Hardy Hibiscus

This may not be the best time of year to plant the seeds. They love heat, and late spring might be better. They don't call it "hardy" for no reason! We have one of those and it's blooming constantly. It gets very little water and is between some boulders in decomposed granite on a steep slope.

When I feel brave enough to conquer the boulders and risky enough to hang on so I don't slip down the hill, I pick the flowers fresh, and dry the petals for tea. They are edible, you know!

I got a pack of varied seeds on Ebay, and I will try them in ground in spring.

Good luck!
Suzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here