Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Agastache in clay soil

Posted by jenn 9/19 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 15, 10 at 9:30

Wondering if anyone has successfully grown any Agastache in amended clay soil. I know that some varieties prefer lean/fast-draining (e.g sandy) soil, but others are more tolerant of heavy soil (according to what I've read).

Are there any that not just tolerate, but will thrive in heavier soils? I'm asking those of you with personal experience, not just what you've read or heard.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Agastache in clay soil

I have amended clay soil, which after amending is a clay/loam soil. I grow agastache in it with no trouble. Al

o

• Posted by jenn 9/19 (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 16, 10 at 22:14

Thanks, Al. Which ones do you grow? I know that some Agastache need lean, fast-draining soil, while others like a heavier soil like amended clay.

o

I grow the old fashioned purple flowered with the common name of Anise Hyssop, or Agastache forniculum. I really prefer the color and robust growing of this variety. Some of the later paler colored hybrids seem wimpy to me. Al

o

• Posted by jenn 9/19 (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 17, 10 at 23:19

Thanks Al. I have grown that one, and also some of the pink varieties that I purchased from High Country Gardens. I love the scent of all the Agastaches.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here