Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittymoonbeam

Insane Heat In So. CA

kittymoonbeam
11 years ago

106 here in Anaheim on Friday. What was that? I lost a bunch of plants.

Comments (18)

• onederw
    11 years ago

Yeah, we're frito as well here in Pasadena. 103+ two days running. Scarcely better today, high 90s. And it's gonna stay up there for the next week or so--again. I'm so ready for pansies and snapdragons and the October flush of roses, which now may become the November flush of roses. Not to mention hats and sweaters and cool, crisp nights. That said, we may have to get used to it. I fear this may be what climate change looks like.

Kay

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

109 with hot wind in my San Diego 'hood on Fri!! Not much better on Sat. Don't think I've ever experienced those temps here. Worried about my newly planted Howea palms and my beautiful hanging fuschias and begonias are looking like they might not make it even though I kept them well watered. Bummer.

• jenn
    11 years ago

UGH!! Enough already! I'm sick of it!

So sorry about your losses, kittymoonbeam. And island, I hope your plants pull through.

• wcgypsy
    11 years ago

Absolutely!!!!! We're selling and moving and I'm putting in a very strong vote for Crescent City.....no more desert heat and high water bills. Been here 30 years, enough already!

• socks
    11 years ago

After yesterday, today's 93 is wonderful. But my staghorn is fried; it will recover eventually. For us it'll be in the 90's this week, back to over 100 next Saturday. Unbelievable weather. Seems like we've struggled for 3 weeks to a month. I'm just doing nothing in the yard except look out the window and hope for the best.

Our A/C went out, but we're managing.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

So strange, up here near SF we're having unusually cool weather!

• jenn
    11 years ago

Today I dragged the hose around the yard to deep-water some really sad plants. Today's heat did feel a little less suffocating than yesterday's.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

send that cool down here please tinan. Even my Agaves look scorched.

Crescent City, watch out for tsunamis, and the grey grey winters will get to you after a while. It's always something, no matter where you live.

• wcgypsy
    11 years ago

We've lived in Washington before and to me, the weather and rain are preferable to the heat, water bills and constant fire threat here. I am thoroughly sick of SoCal now.....and I was born here, never wanted to be anywhere else. We'll make sure to hopefully be just far enough back from the tsunami zone...lol..

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The poor little things. They struggled through the last few heat waves and then gave up in this last one. All the fussy little things like columbines and delphiniums. I didn't know it could be that hot in San Diego. I thought that was the promised land. I love the bay area and am glad you have had good weather.

I went to the swap meet in Huntington Beach this weekend and saw that the three coast redwoods planted at Golden West College had died. They were large beauties and maybe it is too hot for them now. They always got plenty of water.

• wcgypsy
    11 years ago

I miss being close enough to go to the GW Swap Meet...that's a really good one, or used to be. I hope it still is now. We use to spend the weekend with my folks and go hit that one.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

I'm sorry that your gardens are not doing well :(

• nil13
    11 years ago

Yeah it was hot. Los Angeles finally got rid of the pesky single day in September that didn't have a record temp of 100 or higher. The record was 99 set in 1894 and they beat it by a degree. This is not because of global warming it is because it's September in Southern California. Besides, the climate models don't show SoCal getting any appreciable warming due to climate change for about 30 years.

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    11 years ago

After the 22 days straight in August of over 100 the 95 last week was nice.
    Today it was 103, but when I went to work at 5:30am this morning it was 55. yay!

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fall seem different to me. I grew up in OC and back to school was rain and breezy days with santa ana winds around halloween. I don't remember so many hot days in Sept. in the past. A neighbor who has been here since the mid 1960s said the growth of the cities created a heated spot which pushed the cool weather away. Could this be right?

• jenn
    11 years ago

Kitty, that could be right but every time Labor Day rolls around my mom says it was "always so hot!" when we kids went back to school in the 60s. OC would be cooler than in the valleys, and it's hot everywhere this summer even in San Diego and the beaches.

• dicot
    11 years ago

I went to seed a freshly turned bed and just stared at my seeds for what felt like forever, trying to figure out what the next month or two of weather will be like and what crops will grow best? Went with green onion, cabbage, bok choi, cilantro and beet seeds - my common "I can grow these almost anytime" seeds, because I have no clue what's coming next for day/night temps, humidity or rainfall.

Enjoy C.C., WCGypsy. The Smith river is the best river in CA, imo.

• wcgypsy
    11 years ago

Wish I were there today...grumbling....94 here today....not as bad as 110, but still not good...lol..