Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insane Heat In So. CA

Posted by kittymoonbeam (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 9:43

106 here in Anaheim on Friday. What was that? I lost a bunch of plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insane Heat In So. CA

Yeah, we're frito as well here in Pasadena. 103+ two days running. Scarcely better today, high 90s. And it's gonna stay up there for the next week or so--again. I'm so ready for pansies and snapdragons and the October flush of roses, which now may become the November flush of roses. Not to mention hats and sweaters and cool, crisp nights. That said, we may have to get used to it. I fear this may be what climate change looks like.

Kay

o

109 with hot wind in my San Diego 'hood on Fri!! Not much better on Sat. Don't think I've ever experienced those temps here. Worried about my newly planted Howea palms and my beautiful hanging fuschias and begonias are looking like they might not make it even though I kept them well watered. Bummer.

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 12:57

UGH!! Enough already! I'm sick of it!

So sorry about your losses, kittymoonbeam. And island, I hope your plants pull through.

o

• Posted by wcgypsy 10 / Sunset 23 (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 14:05

Absolutely!!!!! We're selling and moving and I'm putting in a very strong vote for Crescent City.....no more desert heat and high water bills. Been here 30 years, enough already!

o

After yesterday, today's 93 is wonderful. But my staghorn is fried; it will recover eventually. For us it'll be in the 90's this week, back to over 100 next Saturday. Unbelievable weather. Seems like we've struggled for 3 weeks to a month. I'm just doing nothing in the yard except look out the window and hope for the best.

Our A/C went out, but we're managing.

o

So strange, up here near SF we're having unusually cool weather!

o

Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 23:19

Today I dragged the hose around the yard to deep-water some really sad plants. Today's heat did feel a little less suffocating than yesterday's.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 10:53

send that cool down here please tinan. Even my Agaves look scorched.

Crescent City, watch out for tsunamis, and the grey grey winters will get to you after a while. It's always something, no matter where you live.

o

Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 14:40

We've lived in Washington before and to me, the weather and rain are preferable to the heat, water bills and constant fire threat here. I am thoroughly sick of SoCal now.....and I was born here, never wanted to be anywhere else. We'll make sure to hopefully be just far enough back from the tsunami zone...lol..

o

The poor little things. They struggled through the last few heat waves and then gave up in this last one. All the fussy little things like columbines and delphiniums. I didn't know it could be that hot in San Diego. I thought that was the promised land. I love the bay area and am glad you have had good weather.

I went to the swap meet in Huntington Beach this weekend and saw that the three coast redwoods planted at Golden West College had died. They were large beauties and maybe it is too hot for them now. They always got plenty of water.

o

Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 20:05

I miss being close enough to go to the GW Swap Meet...that's a really good one, or used to be. I hope it still is now. We use to spend the weekend with my folks and go hit that one.

o

I'm sorry that your gardens are not doing well :(

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 20:19

Yeah it was hot. Los Angeles finally got rid of the pesky single day in September that didn't have a record temp of 100 or higher. The record was 99 set in 1894 and they beat it by a degree. This is not because of global warming it is because it's September in Southern California. Besides, the climate models don't show SoCal getting any appreciable warming due to climate change for about 30 years.

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 20:19

Yeah it was hot. Los Angeles finally got rid of the pesky single day in September that didn't have a record temp of 100 or higher. The record was 99 set in 1894 and they beat it by a degree. This is not because of global warming it is because it's September in Southern California. Besides, the climate models don't show SoCal getting any appreciable warming due to climate change for about 30 years.

o

After the 22 days straight in August of over 100 the 95 last week was nice.
Today it was 103, but when I went to work at 5:30am this morning it was 55. yay!

o

Fall seem different to me. I grew up in OC and back to school was rain and breezy days with santa ana winds around halloween. I don't remember so many hot days in Sept. in the past. A neighbor who has been here since the mid 1960s said the growth of the cities created a heated spot which pushed the cool weather away. Could this be right?

o

Sun, Sep 23, 12 at 14:01

Kitty, that could be right but every time Labor Day rolls around my mom says it was "always so hot!" when we kids went back to school in the 60s. OC would be cooler than in the valleys, and it's hot everywhere this summer even in San Diego and the beaches.

o

• Posted by dicot Torrance (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 23, 12 at 16:38

I went to seed a freshly turned bed and just stared at my seeds for what felt like forever, trying to figure out what the next month or two of weather will be like and what crops will grow best? Went with green onion, cabbage, bok choi, cilantro and beet seeds - my common "I can grow these almost anytime" seeds, because I have no clue what's coming next for day/night temps, humidity or rainfall.

Enjoy C.C., WCGypsy. The Smith river is the best river in CA, imo.

o

Sun, Sep 23, 12 at 19:27

Wish I were there today...grumbling....94 here today....not as bad as 110, but still not good...lol..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here