Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone grown pokeweed?

Posted by bob_b Sunset 14, Ca. (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 22, 10 at 10:00

Not far from my house in a landscaped area is a pokeweed. I thought I recognized its bright red stem and branches and long, drooping clusters of black red berries. I've seen it back East but not in Calif. Interesting things are said about Phytolacca americana from its attractiveness to its invasive and weedy nature. It's also said to be poisonous. Strange plant. Has anyone grown it?
RB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone grown pokeweed?

• Posted by wcgypsy 10 / Sunset 23 (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 22, 10 at 10:21

Five seconds ago I would have said no.....but your post led me to look up pokeweed and yes, I do have it. Oddly enough I have a couple in some pots and I was just wondering yesterday what in the world it was. I don't know if these two showed up on their own or if they were in with other seeds I'd taken in trade, but now I know I can pull and toss them...

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 22, 10 at 18:33

Not intentionally. ;^)

o

I have it too.... unintentionally. Like Datura I let it grow if it is attractive where it's growing, otherwise I pull it.

If you cut off the berries it doesn't seem to spread much.

o

It was a volunteer in my front yard a few years ago. I was thrilled to see how beautifully it grew with those dark berries and arching branches! Just yesterday, I was trimming in the back yard, and there were small plants growing in the side yard and in the far backyard. I kept one, but will soon cut off the berries before the birds scatter them all over the place.

o

Poke weed is yummy if you know how to cook it correctly we use to grow wild poke in Indiana.

o

Yes the flavor is much different than other greens. It is cut when still young and has to be cooked not eaten raw.

o

Pokeweed is a bad weed. I had seeds come into my garden, and it took years to get rid of it. I still see one of them from time to time. The only way is to wait for germination of the seeds and hand remove them. The more you allow the pokeweed to do it's thing making seeds the greater the build up of seeds in you soil. The soil has layers. Each layer of soil being cleared away only exposes new layers of soil to the sunlight causing the seeds that are in that layer of soil to germinate. So, the more you dig up your soil the more new weeds you will get. Until you reach that lucky time in which there are no more weed seeds in your soil. However, this takes many years. I assume if you cut off all the berries you would be alright.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here